View Single Post
Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:04 AM
Authorized User

Default Advice on custom controls

Hi

I have been reading the Web Content Management Development Book and found Chapter 10 on Field Types and Field Controls very useful. As itís says in the explanation of the topic there are limited resources online if any. The problem I have is I am a beginner with Sharepoint and C#. My ASP.Net skills are better.

I wanted some advice on Custom Controls. I have created a Site Column that is of type Choice and have placed it in the Site Content Type Gallery under List Content Types in Item so most content types have then inherited it.

The choices in the Site Column are security choices. So a user can decide on the security level for that document or list item or web page.

I want to be able to display on the master page the choice the author has selected for that web page. So I need to be able to use a Custom Control to check the choice and display it on the master page.

Am I right in thinking I need to refer to the section of Chapter 10 that is:

Creating Custom Field Controls without Custom Field Types?

Is there an even simpler tutorial I can follow to break down some of the elements, i.e. for someone like me that is a beginner and not totally up to speed with everything Sharepoint?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks