Thread: Joomla
View Single Post
Old December 11th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via Skype™ to Lochman
Default Test Sites

I would suggest that you should always have some means of backing up and testing your Joomla site. If you don't have space on an external server, you can do this perfectly well on your own computer. Depending on which operating system you use, there are fairly straightforward ways of setting up the three applications you will need: a server, the PHP scripting language and a MySQL database. Can I suggest doing some research on "WAMP" (for Windows) or "LAMP" for Linux?

To set up a test site for your Joomla installation, you will need to make a copy of the database. (Your ISP should provide something like "phpMyAdmin" to simplify this process.) You will then need to set up a second Joomla site (of the same vintage as the one you're using on your main site) on your own computer. Set it up as a brand new site then simply DROP (delete) all the tables in the new database and install the backup tables from your live site in their place.

It's always good to have backup copies of your live site (sql database files) but also very useful to be able to experiment with a test installation before you make a major change to components or modules on your live site.

Finally... can I endorse the recommendation that you should update to Joomla 1.5.25? Even if you don't make the jump to version 1.7.x, you should definitely upgrade to 1.5.25.

All the best!