Thread: Joomla
View Single Post
Old December 16th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Authorized User
Points: 71, Level: 1 Points: 71, Level: 1 Points: 71, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via Skype™ to Lochman

OK... cool that you've upgraded your live installation. However, I would still recommend working through the installation of your own setup. WAMP is a "one-off" utility. It installs three separate applications: Apache, PHP and MySQL. Apache is a web server. When you run it on your own computer, you will be able to "serve" web files of your own. This is usually set up by default as "http://localhost". (This site will not be available on the internet at large: you would have to link it in through a Domain Name Server with a registered domain name if you wanted to do that.)

PHP is a script language that is set up to work on Apache and MySQL is a database works in conjunction with Apache and PHP. WAMP sets up all three for you and just saves you the hassle of trying to install all three applications separately and then get them to work together properly. You should never need to save or restore WAMP as such.

Once you've got your own server running, you will have a folder (usually "htdocs") where you can build web sites. What you do then is to install a new Joomla site in a folder of "htdocs". Before doing so, you will need to create a new (blank) database on MySQL. To do that, I suggest getting hold of a program called "phpMyAdmin". You can install this in its own folder of "htdocs" and run it from there. It will provide you with a friendly interface to the MySQL application. Create a new database there (together with a user), then run the Joomla installation routine and use the details you've set up on MySQL to enter in the appropriate place for Joomla.

Kickstart is just an easy way to install Joomla. It saves you downloading and unzipping the Joomla installation files. Just put the Kickstart script (program) in the folder where you want to run your own Joomla site (in "htdocs") and point your browser to it. It will then do all the fetching and carrying for you.

Sorry if I'm "teaching you to suck eggs"... I'm not sure how much you know already or whether this is all new for you...

Lochman