View Single Post
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 100, Level: 1 Points: 100, Level: 1 Points: 100, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Author's response to various comments and plans for downloadable content

All, I wanted to say a few words to the people disappointed in some parts of the book and explain my plan to erase that disappointment.

First of all, I am not making any excuses. It's clear that some readers are not able to successfully complete the walk-throughs. I was the primary author and I am ultimately responsible.

I do want to respond to some of the criticisms in a general way by simply stating that a tremendous amount of effort was made to provide a valuable contribution to the general body of knowledge around SharePoint, especially around the thinking process that relatively non-technical users should adopt when creating business solutions. I think that the book has done well in this regard, but that success is clearly overshadowed by problems with the walk-throughs.

Regarding the walk-throughs: I am making a firm commitment to review each chapter's walk-through in detail and produce the following:
1) Errata and detailed corrections as needed for each chapter.
2) A downloadable pre-built solution from www.codeplex.com.
3) To do a minimum of one chapter per week with the first chapter (chapter 3) ready by Monday, 03/05.
4) I will make every effort to complete the walk-throughs earlier.

I believe that this will help everyone be more successful with the walk-throughs.

I will update this posting regularly as I make progress toward this goal.

I appreciate all of the feedback I've received and I hope everyone continues to provide it with the same passion as they have to date :)

Regards,

--Paul Galvin