Thread: Welcome!
View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2015, 12:34 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 1,166, Level: 13 Points: 1,166, Level: 13 Points: 1,166, Level: 13
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Which book?

Personally, even though there are lower average reviews for the latest book, I think it's a better book and more complete. If you read the bad reviews, some comments are pretty trivial, like not telling the reader to hit Enter after they make a statement change. Really? The book would be ten times longer with no real increase in content. One bad comment was about the eBook version and that has been addressed. Also, read the good reviews, too.

The teaching style is the same in both books. I write all my books like I'm talking with you. My teaching experience has helped to identify the areas that are most likely going to be difficult at first blush, so I do spend more time on those topics. That's a major difference between my books and other authors. While I have no doubt they are very good technically, many have never stood in front of 100 pairs of eyes and tried to provide an answer that removes those deer-in-the-headlights stares. Knowing those difficulties and having spent decades answering them really helps getting things across to the reader.

Rather than using the Visual Studio Express 2010 version, download the newer free Visual Studio Community edition. In essence, Microsoft has made the complete Visual Studio available for free. You can use VSE 2010 if you wish, but I see no reason not to use VSC.

Last edited by DrPurdum; March 26th, 2015 at 12:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrPurdum For This Useful Post:
Archer (March 27th, 2015)