View Single Post
Old October 8th, 2007, 10:18 PM

Default IIF Formulas used in Update queries

I am importing data from an old database (we call it AS400) into my Access'03 database. The data corresponds to price increases shown as follows...

CustNum,P/C,PreviousPrice,FuturePrice,EffectiveDate
     80000,123457,0.1234,1.1234,10/01/2007

The system does not update the future price if there will not be a price increase (as shown above)... When there is a price increase, it does not show the increment, but the updated price. I used the IIF Formula to select the correct price...

10/01/07: IIf([tblQuotes]![Increased]<>0,[tblQuotes]![Increased],[tblQuotes]![Previous])

In a select query, I get the desired result; one field labeled with the most recent price increase. But I would like to update these numbers to a table with a field named for the date of the most recent price increase. My intention would be to eventually track my price increases over time for various products and customers. I tried to use my IIF statement in an update query where the field to update to was named 10/01/07. That's when it crapped out... the error message reads,

"'IIF([tblQuotes]![Increased]<>0,[tblQuotes]![Increased],
     [tblQuotes]![Previous])' Is not a valid name. Make sure that
     it does not include invalid characters or punctuation and that
     it is not too long."

I only get this message if I change my query type to an update query... which is what I *think* I want to do. Of course, that's where it gets dangerous... sheep who think. Can anyone give advice on how else I can store data as ONE field to track it every time I have a price increase? i've already searched for Update queries and IIF Formulas. I've seen lots of stuff out there but nothing directly related to my issue. Any help would be appreciated.