View Single Post
Old June 24th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 3,489, Level: 24 Points: 3,489, Level: 24 Points: 3,489, Level: 24
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by StephenB
I in fact left Wrox in January but continued administering P2P on a freelance basis until the liquidation. Dan and Dave are correct, most of what Hal says seems to be inaccurate second-hand information, sorry Hal.
I freely admit I have information that's second-hand. I have been told things by the tech guys at Wiley- I assume their information is correct and look forward to them responding to the questions you, David and Dan have raised in this thread- since I can't. I retract everything that you guys say isn't accurate- since you were there and I wasn't.

Quote:
quote:
As soon as I knew Wiley were taking over, I contacted Joe Wickert and offered to help, also mentioning Dave's name as the main developer. I think Joe passed our names to the Wiley tech guys, but we were never asked for our help or advice.
This raises a huge problem for me as I was given the impression they had no idea who from classic wrox could assist them.

Quote:
quote:
Since approximately November 2001, P2P has been effectively unmoderated. I only had time allowed for support issues and list monitoring, banning the occasional miscreant. One effect of this change was to increase the amount of traffic as there was no delay in posting to the list!
See, that's what I said, I said that there was too much traffic and my posts went up too fast. The impression I was given was there was a moderation team- obviously this is wrong.

Quote:
quote:
I think quite a few people at Wrox didn't really understand what P2P was all about, or realise that it was more of a news and mail community than a web forum community. (One of the reasons that Wrox eventually went under...?) That misconception seems to have been passed on to Wiley. It is understandable though that if the guys at Wiley are happier with web forums and not happy with a Linux based system that they weren't interested in taking the machines, even if they had the chance.
The only volume numbers they had were from the website- which they felt was considerable. (or so they told me) Personally I think what made Wrox go under was the complete loss of focus on what made them great in the first place. A series of clearly defined books that took you from novice to Expert in 3 or 4 books. In the end, Wrox was pushing out books that had so much overlap, we had no idea what to buy- so I just stopped buying books from Wrox.. I was buying more and more APRESS and MSPress books over the last year because I was just confused by what WROX was putting out there.

Quote:
quote:
As Dave says, I hope P2P does well with Wiley, but as many of the knowledgable people that answered a lot of questions used news or mail for the convenience, it will be an uphill struggle. The number of users and amount of traffic are still much much lower than previously.
Stephen, unfortunately I think too many knowledgeable people were lost. On the old forums my postings were barely a speck. I certainly wasn't answering as many questions as I do now- of course, that was because I didn't need to, so many others were out there answering them.

Hal Levy
NOT a Wiley/Wrox Employee- Got a job for me?