Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Microsoft Office > Access and Access VBA > Access VBA
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Access VBA Discuss using VBA for Access programming.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Access VBA section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old November 14th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: , , .
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default VBA/ODBC Error. Provider Not Found.Driver not I

Hi,
   I am facing an issue which is bugging me for almost 3 weeks .

    We have a solution which has excel as front end and connecting to Oracle database using ADO . This is working properly on almost 2000 XP machines . However this is not working on two machines which is giving me Provider not found error .

Operating system : Microsoft XP Service pack 1a
Oracle database Version : 8.1.7
Oracle Client : 8.1.7

I tried DSN less connection using Microsoft ODBC Driver for Oracle and Oracle ODBC Driver .

Both the machines are having Oracle Client Installed
Both the machines are upgraded to XP Service Pack 1a which has MDAC V2.7 installed as Microsoft site suggested ...
The MSDTC registry folder is having full authorization.
Path include both Oracle\bin and window System folders.

If you test using ODBC connection utility on these machines , it's working fine . However connection using ADO is always failing giving me Provider not found error .

 cnnRwSM = New ADODB.Connection
        cnnRwSM.ConnectionString = "DSN=SM;UID=SM;PWD=xxxx"
        cnnRwSM.Mode = ADODB.ConnectModeEnum.adModeReadWrite
        cnnRwSM.Open

Also I tried Oracle Driver
     cnnRwSM.ConnectionString = "Driver={Oracle ODBC Driver};DBQ=SMBSP.WORLD;UID=SM;PWD=xxxx"
        cnnRwSM.Mode = ADODB.ConnectModeEnum.adModeReadWrite
        cnnRwSM.Open

I tried to specify both Microsoft & Oracle Provider names too .

I checked both OracleOciLib registory entry which is pointing to oci.dll and tried ociw32.dll too

I am not where to go from here ..

I am not sure whether MDAC files are corrupted ..However not sure to proceed ...


Any help is greatly appreciated .

thanks
Manoj




Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old November 15th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 9,611, Level: 42
Points: 9,611, Level: 42 Points: 9,611, Level: 42 Points: 9,611, Level: 42
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Washington, DC, USA.
Posts: 3,069
Thanks: 0
Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Hi,

   Do a search for the following file: "TNSNAMES.ORA"

   This file keeps connection information for your Oracle databases. You will probably have several versions of this on your computer.

   Sometimes you can have this problem if the entries are not in the right order, or there are conflicting versions of the file. You will find more than one of these files on these computers.

   The users probably did some updating or have connected to different Oracle databases in the past.

   What you may want to do, after backing up these files, or course, is to open them with Notepad, compare entries, and consolidate the files so that all source names are in the same file. Then mess around with the order of the entries, moving your Excel apps database further up the list.

   When you are done, copy the file to all the locations where you found it. If you have more than one ORA directory, then this could definitely be a problem.

   Be careful with the syntax and just be sure to copy it so that you don't leave out a character.

   Anyway, it doesn't sound like a DSN issue.

   Maybe this will help.

Thanks,


mmcdonal
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: , , .
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi mmcdonal,
 thanks for the response .

 verifying TNSNAMES.ORA is of course the first step I checked after installing the Oracle Cleint . That did n't give any result .

since ODBC test is working fine using DSN , there is no problem till the ODBC connection.

Now I am more worried about the MSDTC entries (MTxOCI) in the registory . Can someone suggest the correct entries for Oracle 8 software It is pointing to oci.dll now ...


Any other suggestions are appreciated ..

thanks
Manoj

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver] TIME OUT ERROR rtr1900 ASP.NET 2.0 Basics 1 November 12th, 2008 08:36 AM
ERROR [42000] [Microsoft][ODBC driver for Oracle][ sanjeev jha General .NET 0 June 28th, 2008 12:50 AM
Run-time Error '3706' Provider cannot be found Star007 VB How-To 1 August 10th, 2006 05:02 AM
Run-time Error '3706' Provider cannot be found. It Star007 Pro VB Databases 1 April 5th, 2006 04:55 PM
[ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] !!!Error!!! Varg_88 Classic ASP Databases 3 August 30th, 2004 06:19 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons, Inc.