p2p.wrox.com Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.


  Return to Index  

access thread: Linking Jet DB tables to Access DB through ODBC


Message #1 by Terrence Joubert <Terrence@v...> on Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:48:41 +0400

Hi,

 

I have 2 databases x, and y. Both are Access 2000 databases.

 

To x, I want to link a few y tables. I do not want to use direct path

because it will lead to

problems when I deploy the application using database x. 

Therefore, I created an ODBC DSN for database y thinking that I could 

link

its tables to x.

Everytime I try to link the tables, I select ODBC in the FileType: drop

down. When I select

the ODBC DSN for y, Access prompts me with the following message:

'You cannot use ODBC to import from, export to, or link an external

Microsoft Jet database table to your database'

 

This is what the help says:

' You are attempting to link, import data from, or export data to 

either an

external  <javascript:hhobj_1.Click()> Microsoft Jet table or an 

external

ISAM database 

table (for example, dBASE, Microsoft=AE FoxPro=AE, Paradox, or 

Btrieve), but you

have selected <SQL Database> as the data source. 

You must select the appropriate data source for the data you are 

attempting

to link.'    

 

I think ODBC is the best way to facilitate deployment headaches, it 

should

have worked with Jet or non-Jet databases.

 

Does anyone know about a way around this? 

 

Many thanks

 

Terrence



Message #2 by "Pardee, Roy E" <roy.e.pardee@l...> on Tue, 18 Sep 2001 07:28:09 -0700
I don't know of a way around this, but can you say what deployment

difficulties you're anticipating?  It's not too tough to program a routine

that prompts the user for a back-end file.  See



http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q209/8/62.ASP



for a start and



http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0001.htm



for how to get out of using the common dialog ocx.



Hope that helps...



Cheers,



-Roy



-----Original Message-----

From: Terrence Joubert [mailto:Terrence@v...]

Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2001 12:49 AM

To: Access

Subject: [access] Linking Jet DB tables to Access DB through ODBC







Hi,

 

I have 2 databases x, and y. Both are Access 2000 databases.

 

To x, I want to link a few y tables. I do not want to use direct path

because it will lead to

problems when I deploy the application using database x. 

Therefore, I created an ODBC DSN for database y thinking that I could 

link

its tables to x.

Everytime I try to link the tables, I select ODBC in the FileType: drop

down. When I select

the ODBC DSN for y, Access prompts me with the following message:

'You cannot use ODBC to import from, export to, or link an external

Microsoft Jet database table to your database'

 

This is what the help says:

' You are attempting to link, import data from, or export data to 

either an

external  <javascript:hhobj_1.Click()> Microsoft Jet table or an 

external

ISAM database 

table (for example, dBASE, Microsoft=AE FoxPro=AE, Paradox, or 

Btrieve), but you

have selected <SQL Database> as the data source. 

You must select the appropriate data source for the data you are 

attempting

to link.'    

 

I think ODBC is the best way to facilitate deployment headaches, it 

should

have worked with Jet or non-Jet databases.

 

Does anyone know about a way around this? 

 

Many thanks

 

Terrence
Message #3 by "Eric Isaacs" <isaacs@i...> on Wed, 19 Sep 2001 04:16:55
Your idea was pretty creative.  I thought it was an interesting idea, so I 

tried it myself.  But you're correct, it doesn't work. :o)  Check out 

msdn.microsoft.com to see if there are any related articles or work 

arounds.



You could try linking the two databases together using the full network 

path to database y.  This is the traditional way to solve this problem in 

all versions of Access.  This assumes that you are leaving database y on a 

single network in only one location.  



When you link to database y, just make sure you link to it through the 

network neighborhood, as opposed to specifying a mapped drive letter on 

your machine.



Another option is to give the users the ability to link to the backend 

database themselves.  If the users have the full version of Access, then 

this is built in, but if you are distributing the runtime version of 

Access, then you will need to program this functionality into your 

database.  There are MSDN articles written on this subject as well.



Hope that helps.



Eric Isaacs



> 

> Hi,

>  

> I have 2 databases x, and y. Both are Access 2000 databases.

>  

> To x, I want to link a few y tables. I do not want to use direct path

> because it will lead to

> problems when I deploy the application using database x. 

> Therefore, I created an ODBC DSN for database y thinking that I could 

> link

> its tables to x.

> Everytime I try to link the tables, I select ODBC in the FileType: drop

> down. When I select

> the ODBC DSN for y, Access prompts me with the following message:

> 'You cannot use ODBC to import from, export to, or link an external

> Microsoft Jet database table to your database'

>  

> This is what the help says:

> ' You are attempting to link, import data from, or export data to 

> either an

> external  <javascript:hhobj_1.Click()> Microsoft Jet table or an 

> external

> ISAM database 

> table (for example, dBASE, Microsoft=AE FoxPro=AE, Paradox, or 

> Btrieve), but you

> have selected <SQL Database> as the data source. 

> You must select the appropriate data source for the data you are 

> attempting

> to link.'    

>  

> I think ODBC is the best way to facilitate deployment headaches, it 

> should

> have worked with Jet or non-Jet databases.

>  

> Does anyone know about a way around this? 

>  

> Many thanks

>  

> Terrence

> 


  Return to Index