I've done several VB
.Net/ASP.Net 2003 projects, and I did 98% of a VS2005/ASP 2.0 project that a co-worker initially laid out a few screens for. However, now I’m doing a new VS2005/ASP 2.0 project, and have a stupid error. I’ve found a fair number of people asking about this on various forums, but no resolutions, and would be pathetically grateful for any help.
In a nutshell: in my aspx.vb
code, when I reference my classes in the App_Code folder, they’re “not defined”.
1. I clicked File / New Project, and selected “ASP.Net Web Application”.
2. I right-clicked on the level below the Solution level in Solution Explorer – is this still called the Project level?, clicked Add New Item, and added a Web Form.
3. I pasted some HTML in from a similar project.
4. I right-clicked from the Designer View, clicked View Code, and pasted some VB
code in, directly from the similar project (as a starting point).
code has “Dim MyXXX As New clsXXX”, which of course gives a message “Type clsXXX is not defined”. So,
1. I click on the Project, click “Add”, click “New Folder”, and name it App_Code.
2. I then right-click on this folder, click “Add”, click “Class”, and name it clsXXX.
3. I open that new file and paste the code in from the similar project’s class file. It’s a Public Class clsXXX.
4. It doesn’t work when I “add existing item” and specify the similar older project’s class file, either.
5. The same thing is happening for my DatabaseFunctions class in DatabaseFunctions.vb
The class is still “not defined” in my aspx.vb
code, even after I rebuild everything. Even if I drag the clsXXX.vb
file up to the Project level, it’s still “not defined”.
For my DatabaseFunctions class, I also tried putting a Namespace designation in the DatabaseFunctions.vb
file and “Imports” the namespace in my aspx.vb
Does anybody know how to fix this? Thanks!!!!!!