Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 6 Visual Basic 6 > Beginning VB 6
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Beginning VB 6 For coders who are new to Visual Basic, working in VB version 6 (not .NET).
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Beginning VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old February 4th, 2006, 05:22 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via ICQ to dpkbahuguna Send a message via MSN to dpkbahuguna Send a message via Yahoo to dpkbahuguna Send a message via Skype™ to dpkbahuguna
Default Saving Parameters

Hi friends..

What is the mean of Source safe, this dialog box appears when i save my project?

Why VB asks Group name when i save the project what does it mean?

Dipu
Old February 6th, 2006, 08:28 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 464, Level: 7 Points: 464, Level: 7 Points: 464, Level: 7
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via MSN to nalla Send a message via Yahoo to nalla

Hi,
   Visual source safe is a very important tool developers use in version control.You can maintain your projects in VSS(Visual source safe). So you'll have a track of changes you did to your project.

Group project means when you have couple of projects added. (Like you are regerring a dll project in your stantard exe project, you can save those added projects as a group.so you don't need to add the dll project to the standard exe project every time you load the standard exe project)

That dialog box asks whether you want to add your project to source safe or not if you press No and save the group project it won't ask you again and again. Load the saved group project instead of adding the projects 1 by 1.

Google is a powerful tool. Just Google Visual source safe. You'll find a lot of link regarding this.

nalaka hewage
Old February 7th, 2006, 12:48 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via ICQ to dpkbahuguna Send a message via MSN to dpkbahuguna Send a message via Yahoo to dpkbahuguna Send a message via Skype™ to dpkbahuguna

Thank you very much Mr. Nalaka Hewage to this Information.

Deepak..

Dipu
Old February 8th, 2006, 06:56 AM
Friend of Wrox

Hello hewage,

There is a Expression being used in a program like 'Shell = D:\Folder name\FileName.exe'.

What does it do?

Can u Help me....

Have a nice day..

Deepak..
Old February 13th, 2006, 12:47 AM
Friend of Wrox

Hi Nalla!

Thanks to your countinue Cooperation.

I've a project which was connected with Oracle Database it was running successfully. But now I connected it to the MS Access but when I run the programme I'm getting Run Time Error:

-[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] Undefined function 'to_char' in expression.-

I'm using the statement here:

rs.open "select sum(COLUMNNAME) from TABLENAME where to_char(DATE_FIELD_NAME, 'mon-yyyy') = 'Feb-2006'",con,....

Can u help me how can we raise date_field from Access with this
date format?

Thanks.

Deepak..
Old February 13th, 2006, 06:00 PM
Friend of Wrox

please start each question with a new thread, otherwise people will never find them...
Marco
Old February 25th, 2006, 03:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to naasfama

hi all; dear
i've 2 prob 1 with VB, 2 with Developer6 (although it's not Developer Forum, but there might b a solution for me from ur end...)
1) i want to apply some restrictions on my different click i.e. password or enryption some like..would u like to entertain me with ur great idea....<really need help>.....thanx..

2) wt is connection string for using MSAccess connectivity at back end?

regards....
take care.......

F a z a l
A h m a d
Old February 27th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 464, Level: 7 Points: 464, Level: 7 Points: 464, Level: 7
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Send a message via MSN to nalla Send a message via Yahoo to nalla

Hi dpkbahuguna,
Sorry for taking so long to reply. I was away from the forum for sometime.
to_char is a function which supports oracle but not MS access. We use to_char to convert an expression to char. you have to use an alternative for MS Access instead of to_char.
If you are going to change your application's database from Oracle to Access, changing the connection string wont be enough. you'll have to re check the SQL statements. best thing is to keep seperate dlls to handle backend(SQLs) for oracle and access. or write 2 sql statements for oracle and access and check the provider and select the relavant sql statement

If Provider ="ORA"
    ' SQL for oracle
ElseIf Provider ="Access"
    ' SQL for Access
End If

nalaka hewage
Old February 27th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Friend of Wrox

Hi nalla!

Thanks for your this logic to write 2 sql statements to make my Project databse independent. But I don't have good knowledge about DLLs. So will you make me clear that which DLL you talking about, as far as I think you are talking about Provider's DLL. So where can I select the appropriate DLL from?

Thank you very much..

Deepak..