Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 6 Visual Basic 6 > Beginning VB 6
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Beginning VB 6 For coders who are new to Visual Basic, working in VB version 6 (not .NET).
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Beginning VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 4th, 2003, 02:12 AM
Authorized User

Send a message via MSN to psychadelic
Default Beginner, intermediate or Pro?

Hello,

I didn't find any VB general discussion forums so I will post this question here. I was just wondering how do know your current level of competency in VB? I am using VB for 4 yrs now doing mainly VB + ADO + SQL and database applications but I don't know if I am still a beginner or an intermediate. If you are a MCP in Visual Basic does it necessarily mean you're a pro in VB? Some time ago I was doing a job search on the net and I read no code cutters wanted. Well I guess I am one cause I am always looking for new stuff in books, in forums and MSDN and applying what I've learn cause I can't get everything in my head. Any answer please. Thnx.
Old June 4th, 2003, 06:48 AM

Good Morning,
Sorry I really don't have an answer for you. I have been doing it myself for three years now, I'm no where near the expertise that you seemed to have achieved. I am home schooled in VB so far. I know a lot of the basics. However there are a few things that I don't understand yet. But that's why I'm here. Good luck hope you get an answer soon.:D

Knik DerMuf
Old June 4th, 2003, 07:36 AM

Am sure you are a pro, I bin developing in VB for 3 months and already a pro... ;) if only
Old June 4th, 2003, 08:28 AM

Send a message via MSN to kpowers@wppisys.org

I'm pretty sure you are. I've been working for 2.5 year as a vb programmer. I've been working with VB, ADO, SQL, and COM/MTS and I consider myself as a Pro. Ask yourself these two questions; Can you solve any problem with VB? Are your solutions efficient? I think if you say yes to both questions, you are.

Ken
Old June 4th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via AIM to ~Bean~

TECHNICALLY, I would say if you've SOLD a program (or wrote a program for your workplace) then you are a professional, other wise you'd be an amateur. (just like figure skating...lol)

however, IMHO if you have written a program that is is use by someone and is more than a simple "Hello World" then I would rate you as a pro...

Get a LIFE???

I'm an Online Gamer...I have MULTIPLE lives!!!
Old June 17th, 2003, 12:14 AM
Authorized User

Hrm..I've been programming with visual basic for going on 6 years. But I rarely use it. Probably every 5 projects it comes up. I bounce between borland builder for delphi & C and Visual basic. It just depends on your needs. Visual basic is fast...very very fast, and on my team at work, noone else knows it. So if I have an assignment that is just me, no cooperative programming, I will always go for VB, it's simply faster. Less time for the same outcome in almost every scenario. The most time-consuming project ever was a database related program designed to handle time-management & payroll, along with other employee-management related functions for a state agency here. The core of it all was what you mentioned working with, ADO to interact with multiple SQL servers. So yes, it's safe to consider yourself a pro, in 6 years that's the longest project yet..of course it had alot of sub elements, but it all operated around a database I used ADO to interact with.