Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 6 Visual Basic 6 > Beginning VB 6
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Beginning VB 6 For coders who are new to Visual Basic, working in VB version 6 (not .NET).
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the Beginning VB 6 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old February 5th, 2004, 12:46 AM

Send a message via MSN to MelissaEvans
Default "An error log is being created"... where?

I have a pretty big app that I've made some changes to and all of the sudden I get the error:
VB6.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows.
You will need to restart the program.

An error log is being created.
I don't know what changes could have caused this and for the life of me, I can't find the error log it mentioned. It's not with my VB project or the VB.exe... any ideas?

Thanks!
~Melissa
Old February 5th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Friend of Wrox

1. Try the Dr. Watson log (Dr. Watson Errors are windows system errors and thats what this looks like).

2. Try the System & Application Event logs.

It is also possible that no error log is really created despite Windows saying there is one. How good is the error handling in your application? Try to shore it up. You might be able to trap the error (though possibly as I said above it is a Windows System Error and those are not always trappable).

Yehuda
Old February 5th, 2004, 01:33 PM
Friend of Wrox

Hi Melissa,
what do you mean for 'pretty big'? VB has some limitations, and if you hit them VB goes crazy skipping even error handling.
Look for the log files in the windows\system32 folder.
Marco
Old November 24th, 2004, 11:25 PM

Melissa,

Were you successful with the vb6.exe error issue? I am seeing the same problem as well and have no idea what is causing it.

Thanks
-d

Old November 29th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Friend of Wrox

Usually the way to find what the trouble is is to add a routine that writes to a file of your choosing, and put copious entries into that file denoting what is going on. entries when entering functions, entries when leaving them, actual strings that will be used to open recordsets or files, etc., including the time with each entry.

When the error occurs, go to that file to find out where you were just prior to the error.

I am a big fan of using the Windows Scripting Host, the FileSytemObject within it, the TextStream object of the FileSystemObject, and the WriteLine method of the TextStream Object.

Just a wee bit of code goes a long ways.
Old January 14th, 2005, 05:39 AM

Hi,

The default location where drwatson's logs are created is :

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\DrWatson

If you can't find it there, do a search on drwtsn32.log.

Regards

Vincent Deswert