Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference ISBN: 978-0-470-04703-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference by Teresa Hennig, Rob Cooper, Geoffrey L. Griffith, Armen Stein; ISBN: 9780470047033
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference ISBN: 978-0-470-04703-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old April 17th, 2010, 11:17 AM

Question Move form from table field into variable to run form

Hi Everyone!
I am having trouble building custom menus and specifically ...

I need to take be able to open a form or a report using a variable form/report name that is coming from a table.

First read the file containing the menu options sequentially.
Move the menu description from field ItemText field to the caption property
Move the form name from field Arguement into a variable so that when the form runs the user can click on the menu button and run the variable form.

Code:
Private Sub btn1_Click()
     ' DoCmd.OpenForm "frmAddCustomer"  (This works fine - opens the form)
     ' But here I want to open the form from a variable name loaded below.
DoCmd.OpenForm pgm1
End Sub

Private Sub Form_Load()
Dim conn1 As ADODB.Connection
    Dim rs As ADODB.Recordset
    Dim strSQL As String
    Dim pgm1 As Form
    Dim pgm2 As String

' Format the strSQL string with the fields that I want and the user selected search field as the customer name to search for.

strSQL = "SELECT * FROM MenuItems WHERE MenuID=3 Order By ItemNumber"

' Start the connection and process the SQL query on the recordset.
    Set conn1 = CurrentProject.Connection    
    Set rs = New ADODB.Recordset

rs.Open strSQL, conn1
    rs.MoveFirst   ' new code added
    btn1.Caption = rs![ItemText]  'THIS PART WORKS FINE
    pgm1 = rs![Argument]           ' THIS WILL NOT WORK AT ALL
    btn2.Caption = rs![ItemText]
    pgm2 = rs![Argument]

End Sub

'I dont know how to put a form name into a variable and then use that variable in a Do.Cmd statement.
If anyone knows how to do this I would be very grateful. I know how to find out if a specific form is open or not, but do not have any idea how to move the field from the table into a variable and then use that in the Do.Cmd statement. Is there some special way to specify a variable as a form? Without knowing what the keyword is, it is almost impossible to look this up or find it on the Internet.

Thanks Everyone!
Ann

Last edited by AnninCT; April 17th, 2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: field name was incorrect in text and was confusing