Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference ISBN: 978-0-470-04703-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference by Teresa Hennig, Rob Cooper, Geoffrey L. Griffith, Armen Stein; ISBN: 9780470047033
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference ISBN: 978-0-470-04703-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old February 3rd, 2011, 11:50 AM

Question Page 194

I am not sure, but look in the first gray box of code, at the top of the page, at the last line before
Code:
End Function
. Should this be
Code:
Set OpenRecordSetADO = rs
instead of
Code:
Set CreateConnectionADO = rs
? It just seems that, if I am understanding the code correctly, "OpenRecordSetADO" and "CreateConnectionADO" are variables and "CreateConnectionADO" has not been declared, and "OpenRecordSetADO" has been declared but not used. Please let me know if I am wrong, and why the code works the way it is.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 05:48 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 503, Level: 8 Points: 503, Level: 8 Points: 503, Level: 8
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Error on page 194

Hello poohbearmama657,

Thanks for your post here, it looks like the first post you made in these forums and we really appreciate the time and effort you've taken here to make this post. Also, and more importantly, you have uncovered an error in the book and I wanted to say thanks for pointing this out, this is actually a mistake in one of my chapters (though the source code download from the website has the correct code)!

Specifically, on page 194, the code "Set CreateConnectionADO = rs" is actually incorrect. The code should actually be "Set OpenRecordsetADO = rs", because this line of code is assigning the recordset object that was created to the function, to return the recordset to the caller of the function.

It is truly unfortunate that this error made it into the book, the source code on the Wrox P2P download site should be correct. Also, I have added this to the list of errata items for this book and again, I want to thank you for taking the time to point out this issue, I hope it has not caused any inconvenience for you.

Sincerely,

Geoffrey L. Griffith
Co-Author of the Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference
http://www.ImagineThought.com

Last edited by gjgriffith; February 3rd, 2011 at 06:16 PM.