Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference ISBN: 978-0-470-04703-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference by Teresa Hennig, Rob Cooper, Geoffrey L. Griffith, Armen Stein; ISBN: 9780470047033
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference ISBN: 978-0-470-04703-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old December 7th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Exclamation 2007 VBA Prog. Ref - Chp 5 - Conflicting Info

Chp. 5 pg 91 Top of page - explains VBA default is NOT case sensitive achieved by using the open module command Option Compare Database

In Table presented it shows that Option Compare Database statement results in String comparisons ARE case sensitive.

Below Table - "Unless you have good reason to change the Option Compare statement, leave it as the default value of Option Compare Database.

QUESTION - what is correct - using the default defined above - will this result in NOT CASE SENSITIVE ?
Old January 30th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 503, Level: 8 Points: 503, Level: 8 Points: 503, Level: 8
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Misunderstanding?

Hello messingerddm,

Thank you so much for reading the Microsoft Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference and for posting your questions about it here. Also, I apologize for not getting back to you sooner about this post, I've just noticed the post today, but it is over a month old, so I wanted to respond as soon as possible - my deepest apologies! Specifically, you asked:

Quote:
"Chp. 5 pg 91 Top of page - explains VBA default is NOT case sensitive...

(BUT)

... In Table (below) it shows that Option Compare Database statement results in String comparisons ARE case sensitive...

(SO...)

QUESTION - what is correct?
So, right off the bat, to answer your question: When "Option Compare Database" is used, string comparisons are NOT case sensitive.

But, maybe there is some confusion here. If I look in the table on Page 91, the "Option Compare Database" definition says:

Quote:
String comparisons are case insensitive.
Specifically noting that it says "INsensitive" (meaning NOT case sensitive). Am I missing something here, or does my answer make sense?

Anyway, I hope that helps, but if you have any more questions about this or other topics, please just let me know and I'll do what I can to help. And thank you again for reviewing the Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference, we appreciate your readership!

Thanks again,

Wrox Author of:
Microsoft Access 2010 24-Hour Trainer
Access 2010 Programmer's Reference
Access 2007 VBA Programmer's Reference

*** Please click the THANKS button (to the right) if this post helped you! *** ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->