Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 12th, 2006, 08:06 PM

Default Error trying to run the TBH

Hello,

I just recieved the book today and downloaded the files for the TBH.
When trying to run the web site I get an error: It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an application in IIS. When double clicking the error message, it brings me to the web.config file at location:

<authentication mode="Forms">
   <forms cookieless="AutoDetect" loginUrl="~/AccessDenied.aspx" name="TBHFORMAUTH"/>
</authentication>

Can anyone help me to correct this error? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Karl
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Friend of Wrox

Are you trying to open this project with VS 2003? It requires VS 2005.

We no longer use Virtual Directories in 2005 for development projects (in most cases, anyway).

Eric
Old May 15th, 2006, 08:54 AM

Hello,

Thanks for the reply.

To answer your question, I'am using visual studio 2005 to open the
project

Regards

Karl
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:12 PM
Friend of Wrox

Can you make a simple web page using VS 2005 on your computer and run it? Does it use the integrated webserver (you should see it in your icon tray, and it gives a random-looking port number in the URL)?

This application wasn't set up to use IIS "as is". If you use the supplied solution it loads the project only from the filesystem, and displays with the integrated web server.
Old May 15th, 2006, 04:18 PM
Friend of Wrox

I thought of something else you can try - turn off your IIS web server completely, and then try to run TBH by pressing F5.

If you're not familiar with IIS, it's here: Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Internet Information Services. Then drill down until you find "Default Web Site". Right click on it and select Stop.

Eric
Old May 15th, 2006, 07:41 PM

Hi,

I was thinking the same thing to turn off IIS but I first decided to delete the TBH folder and start over by extracting the files form the zip file and double clicking the solution file. Know I'am able to run the TBH site.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Regards

Karl
Old May 19th, 2006, 03:34 PM
Authorized User

If you are trying to access the website using localhost (which is probable if you double click any .aspx file) then you need to have a virtual directory on IIS. Visual Studio 2005 doesn't require IIS to have a virtual directory within the studio environment.