Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 1st, 2006, 01:24 AM

Default usernames as keys

Forgive me if this is answered in the book (my copy hasn't arrived yet, but I've been pouring over the source code). It seems to me that storing usernames as the keys to user records (as opposed to say an int) is highly inefficient. Sure, in ASP.NET membership, the username is fixed, but doesn't this add a lot of unnecessary data to every single forum post? For a highly active forum (say 50,000 posts), you'd be storing nearly 10MB of username data alone in the database.

I'm curious what tradeoffs went into making this decision.

Love the site and what I've seen so far of the book online, by the way. I can't wait until my copy arrives!

Old June 1st, 2006, 09:47 PM
Authorized User

I think I have an answer. The datakey "Username" is chosen usually for an ASP server control, like Gridview, not as a database key. The Username is unique so can be used effectively in server controls.

Old June 4th, 2006, 03:07 PM

I'm not sure I understand your answer... What do you mean by "chosen for server controls?" You can do a join in your select to pull the username from the ID-to-name cache table and store a bunch less data in your forums tables.

Old June 5th, 2006, 07:02 AM
Friend of Wrox

Sometimes the tables aren't in 3rd normal form because of performance concerns. I can't comment on this specific example, but the first edition suffered from some performance issues because of excessive joins needed to get data in critical paths.

Eric