Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 13th, 2006, 04:28 PM

Default source code

every wrox book I've bought has had the source code broken down into chapters. Is this not available for this book because all I see is the finished project. The book says you can either manually code (time consuming) or copy and paste the code but that takes just as long because I have to sort through the finished project to copy just the parts I need for the chapter I'm working on. It stinks !
Old June 14th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Authorized User

i agree. It would make it easier to digest all the information

Old June 14th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Authorized User

I disagree. The idea behind the book is not the solution, but is instead a book about how to get from point a to point b. At the beginning of the chapter a problem is given and the specifications likely needed. Then, the author goes through the design process introducing many alternatives, and finally the solution is how Marco has envisioned the answer to the problem.

You're being asked to step outside the box and learn to design. If you want a book of code, there's plenty of books to be had on the basics. This is a book that teaches programming at an intermediate level and expects you to know something about ASP.Net to begin with.

Old June 14th, 2006, 03:43 PM

I do have an understanding of asp.net and have been developing applications in 2.0 already, that's why I got the book..... I was interested in some of the more in-depth topics like e-commerce. However I learn best by "doing" so no matter what level I'm at I prefer to work through it rather than just read the topic and look at the source code. That's just my preference. I like the step by step books from Microsoft Press as well. I was just surprised because like I said.... the other Wrox books I've read have been laid out in a step by step approach as well.

Regardless I'm making my way through it and the content is still good. That's the only complaint I had.

Old June 14th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Friend of Wrox

We thought about using a more detailed set of steps, but then there'd be less overall functionality because we had to make the size of the book around 600 pages. And since we were targetting mid-level programmers we wanted to stay at a little higher level so we could hit the design hard, and still cover a bunch of modules. You get a lot of material in this book, and sometimes you may have to read a section a couple times and try some code to see how it works.

The idea is that the book doesn't stand alone independently from the code. The book is the road map and the design document, but you have to drill down by looking at the code that comes in the download. With a book of this size you have to avoid spending too much time on the routine code, which is why Marco selected some of the most interesting code to discuss in each chapter, but he couldn't cover all of the code in the text of the book.

I think we hit a home run with this approach. I haven't seen any other books that cover a real functioning site, from the ground up.

I'm dreaming about what might come in the 3rd edition someday. I'm betting that Atlas will be a key part of it, based on what I'm seeing come out of Redmond these days.

Eric
Old October 15th, 2006, 06:56 PM

Is there any version of the source available that is broken down chapter-by-chapter? As mentioned by the first poster it is a real waste of time to try to type it all in by hand (and as you mentioned without detailed steps in the book it's pretty hard to do anyway).

I'm not saying you need to change the book or make it longer. All I want is the state of the code on a chapter-by-chapter basis available for download. Since many files are modified in later chapters of the book it makes it almost impossible to follow along.

Old October 17th, 2006, 06:34 PM
Friend of Wrox

No, the book's site wasn't really built in a separate chapter-by-chapter manner. It was broken into chapters to make the book easier to read, but some code spans chapters and you can get into trouble if you try to hand-code the site separately for each chapter.

The code download for this book is essential!

Eric

Old October 24th, 2006, 05:46 AM

I agree. Code should be able in chapter by chapter format. The final solution is obviuosly NOT a step by step product. This does not match the format of the book. Please make the content in the book available online as well. I cannot recommend this book to others for that reason...
Old October 24th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Wrox Staff
Points: 17,437, Level: 57 Points: 17,437, Level: 57 Points: 17,437, Level: 57
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

"Please make the content in the book available online as well."
The book is available electronically in two different systems:
1. You can purchase a PDF from Wiley:
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyT...47004912X.html
2. As part of the Wrox subscription at Books24x7.com:
http://wrox.books24x7.com/

Jim Minatel
Senior Acquisitions Editor
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press
Blog: http://wroxblog.typepad.com/
Jim's Book of the week: No book this week - Donate to the Red Cross!