Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old August 13th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Authorized User

Default Getting VC# to work with BeerHouse

I have decided to give TheBeerhouse a go after not completing thePhile in the early part of this year but my 1st stumbling block is when I open the solution using c# express edition and the web developer express edition it says "The application for the project 'c:\TheBeerHouse\TBH_Web\' is not installed Make sure the application for project type() is installed." Reading in a previous topic somebody managed to get C#express to work ? Can somebody help me out here as Ive started from the beginning again and until I get up alittle speed Im all fingers and thumbs again. Many thanks in advance.
Kind regards
ian

Old August 13th, 2006, 05:33 PM
Authorized User

Disregard my last Ive ordered the vs 2005 academic edition everything should be okay with that.
Thanks
Ian

Old August 14th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Friend of Wrox

You probably got an error because you didn't have the Web Deployment Project download from MSDN installed. You can ignore this, or just remove that deployment project from your solution. That's covered in the deployment chapter of the book. Most people won't use that, anyway.

Eric

Old November 28th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Hello,

I have the following problem. After I downloaded The Beerhouse starter kit, each time I open it I get error messages:

The exact messages are:
"The application for project '[local path] TBHCustomEvents.csproj' is not installed. Make sure the application for the project type (.csproj) is installed"

This message is for 3 files:
1) TBHCustomEvents.csproj not installed.
2) TBH_Deploy.wdpro not installed.
3) TBH-Setup.vdproj not installed.

In effekt I can not open it.

The problem is independent of the way the file is opend (doubleklick or not, click on the folder or the project file).

I have a fresh installation of web developer express edition. Also the installation of Web Deployment Project does not fix the problem.
Is it possible that Beerhouse does not run with web developer express edition?

Christian
Old November 28th, 2006, 12:51 PM
Authorized User

The "Solution" is telling you that the "Projects" can't be found. To solve the problem, open the solution then in the Solution Explorer right click and select "Add Existing Project". Navigate to the project files and open them.

Old November 29th, 2006, 07:35 PM
Friend of Wrox

Quote:
quote:"The application for project '[local path] TBHCustomEvents.csproj' is not installed.
It looks to me like Visual Web Developer Express doesn't support C# library projects.

Either D/L the C# Express product and compile with that, or else just avoid using the custom events (remove from web.config). I don't particularly care for them, anyway. To me it seems odd to log all the errors in the DB when the DB itself is the source of many errors. If the DB is down, and you try to log that to the DB, does this really make sense?

I can't understand why so many people like the Web Event feature. But I guess you can set it up to log to a file if you want. I always use the standard Debug and Trace logging with a file listener - it's not new and **************** with version 2.0, but it has worked well for me.

Eric

Old November 30th, 2006, 03:16 AM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MythicalMe
 ...select "Add Existing Project". Navigate to the project files and open them.
I had to use "Add Existing FILE", because "Add Existing Projekt" was not an right-click-option in the solution explorer.

After adding the 3 files a wizard told the project need to be converted because it was done in a previous version.

This conversion resultet in Errors:
"Project: TBHCustomEvents.csproj
Filename Status Errors Warnings
 TBHCustomEvents.csproj:(Error List) 1 0
Conversion Issues - TBHCustomEvents.csproj:(Error List):
ERROR: Unable to parse project file TBHCustomEvents.csproj."

In the solution explorer projects were greyd out and unavialable, and the error list showed a parse error for TBHCustomEvents.csproj.

After saving and reopening beerhouse the conversion happend again with the same negative result and so on.

So "adding existing files" seems not to work.

Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:07 PM

Since I don't usually use projects but instead the web site folder method, I just did File>Open Website on the TBH_Web folder.

No need to deal with the .proj or .sln files that way.
Old December 4th, 2006, 06:09 AM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Catalyst
 I just did File>Open Website on the TBH_Web folder.
Thanks, that works!
Christian

Old December 4th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by englere

.. or else just avoid using the custom events (remove from web.config).
First I tried to remove the line:
<add name="TBH Events" type="MB.TheBeerHouse.WebCustomEvent, MB.TheBeerHouse.CustomEvents" />

after that I removed the tag eventMappings, after that the complete tag healthMonitoring (details about the part in web.config see below).

The result was allways, that the errors remained.

But the method of Catalyst (opening as Website on the TBH_Web folder) worked.

Christian

<healthMonitoring heartbeatInterval="10800" >
         <providers>
            <remove name="SqlWebEventProvider" />
            <add name="SqlWebEventProvider" connectionStringName="LocalSqlServer"
               buffer="false" bufferMode="Notification" maxEventDetailsLength="1073741823"
               type="System.Web.Management.SqlWebEventProvider ,System.Web,Version=2.0.0.0,Culture=neutral,Public KeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" />
         </providers>
         <eventMappings>
            <add name="TBH Events" type="MB.TheBeerHouse.WebCustomEvent, MB.TheBeerHouse.CustomEvents" />
         </eventMappings>
         <rules>
            <clear />
            <add name="TBH Events" eventName="TBH Events" provider="SqlWebEventProvider" profile="Critical" />
            <add name="All Errors" eventName="All Errors" provider="SqlWebEventProvider" profile="Critical" />
            <add name="Failure Audits" eventName="Failure Audits" provider="SqlWebEventProvider" profile="Critical" />
            <add name="Heartbeats" eventName="Heartbeats" provider="SqlWebEventProvider" profile="Critical" />
         </rules>
      </healthMonitoring>