Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 1st, 2007, 06:11 AM

thanks Eric - it isnt part of sp1 (becuase i have this installed) - but ive found the deployment addin which has fixed the issue (and uncommented an basepage inherit in produclit.aspx) and everything is fine now

Thanks

Nick

Old January 23rd, 2008, 06:13 PM

When I unzip the VB code, some of the files request a password.

What's Up?

BTW, thanks for doing the conversion (what I can see of it).

thanks,
James Deckert
Old January 24th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Authorized User

I just download the VB version again and did not have any problems. I uncompressed all the files w/o any problems using: Winzip, Stuffit and Explorer. How are you uncompressing?

Darren (aka "MythicalMe") did a superb job converting the VB code. It is identical to C# code, plus he added extra comments which are helpful.

A few errors in the code have been reported in these forums so be sure to search the forums and update your code.

Old January 24th, 2008, 03:10 PM

Thanks Scott.
I tried WinRAR and rcvd an error saying the path was too long (for some of the files). So I uncompressed to a different directory and all went well. I went back to the default uncompression (extract all) through XP to a shorter path and it worked also. So the asking for a password for some files must have been Microsofts "coded" error message for "your path is too long".

I'm glad this code was converted to VB. I really like those books which print both C# and VB. This book seems to be excellent, as far as I've made it, but I may not have purchased it if it was specified 'C#' in the title. Wrox should make it clear what the code is written in on the title, if they aren't including both C# and VB. After years of fighting case sensitivity with C++, I prefer VB because of case sensitivity and having 'end' statements instead of curly brackets which are hard to visually match up.

thanks,
James Deckert
Old January 24th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Wrox Staff
Points: 17,437, Level: 57 Points: 17,437, Level: 57 Points: 17,437, Level: 57
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hi James. Yes, the C# and VB language issue is something I took some deserved grief for not being clear enough on with many of the 2.0 books. You'll see 2 things on our 3.5 books that we're trying to do to make this better and clearer up front:
1. Indicating the language clarly like this:
Professional ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTit...470187573.html
2. Trying to do most if not all ASP.NET books with both C# and VB code in the book and when that isn't feasible, at least provide the code samples in both.

We think that's best for programmers. Even if you work exclusively in VB today, there might be a time when you need to have some ASP.NET in C# and this way, your one book will cover them both.

We're not perfect but we do try to learn! :)

Jim Minatel
Acquisitions Director
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press
Blog: http://wroxblog.typepad.com/
Wrox online library: http://wrox.books24x7.com
Old January 24th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Authorized User

I'm a VB guy too, and have always stayed clear of C code. I was hesitant to buy the book, but after reading few chapters I was able to comprehend the C# code as well as the VB code. I also find the book reads better with only one set of code examples, rather than redundant sets of both C# and VB code. Learning to read C# has also enabled me to utilize all the C# tutorials on the internet that I would not have been able to make sense of in the past.

Old January 25th, 2008, 10:55 AM

I'm a VB guy. I decided to buy the book, it hasn't come yet, and download the vb code. Is is pretty easy to follow along using the vb code? It's a complex website, but it has everything I'm looking for. What's the time frame to get through the book, and have the website up and running if I code it as I follow along?

Old April 20th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Authorized User

Can anyone help I have download the vb version of the code to refer to and it is throwing up an error teling me that Name _comments have not been declared in the example version does any know how i can resolve this problem.

Old May 12th, 2008, 10:26 AM

I've just downloaded the vb version and got the same error. I then downloaded the c version and that worked straight away ( you need C+ loaded in visual studio 2005 if you havent installed it). I then ran the vb version and didnt get the same problem. However I then got 60 odd errors relating to productlisting.aspx. If you remove the comment from the line: Inherits BaseWebPart in productlisting.aspx.vb the thing burst into life and all compiled, dont know why this was there. Hope this helps. I'm in UK too and very interested to work thru this as its got everything I want. You definitely need the book too. Its full of good stuff and not much C code to follow, mostly explaining structure and controls.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nichola_x_rose
 Can anyone help I have download the vb version of the code to refer to and it is throwing up an error teling me that Name _comments have not been declared in the example version does any know how i can resolve this problem.

Old June 11th, 2008, 10:46 PM

I had to use:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/Sho...52338&SiteID=1

to get passed the "Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server ..." on my XP Professional SP2 laptop running SQL Express