Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old September 3rd, 2006, 10:07 AM

Default TBH install problems

I'm sorry but I can't even get it installed...

I just installed VS Pro 2005 and SQLServer 2005 (not Sql Express) I also have IIS installed on my XP Pro (Media Center).

I extracted all the BeerHouse files locally.

I executed the queries in the readme.txt that completed.

When I open the TheBeerHouse.sln I get a series of errors just openning the file:

1)...project location is not trusted
2)...make sure application for wdproj is installed

After those errors the project opens but when I hit F6 after some compile msgs, I get:

A first chance exception of type 'System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException' occurred in System.Web.dll

and the browser just hangs till I stop it.

I am not familiar with sqlserver 2005 so I dont know if my problems are a result of my connection string or not. I don't even know if I have the server name correct since I installed a default instance with Windows Authentication. I am not a network person and have just gotten the connection string for a cut and paste, so if this is really elementary stuff, please forgive me.

This is the webconfig lines without the user pass creds:

<connectionStrings>
      <remove name="PC315417827683"/>
      <add name="PC315417827683" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQL05;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspn etdb.mdf" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
      <!--
      <add name="PC315417827683" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQL05;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspn etdb.mdf" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
      <add name="PC315417827683" connectionString="Data Source=.\SQL05;Initial Catalog=TheBeerHouse_Remote;User ID=;Password=" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
      -->
   </connectionStrings>

Please help, I want to get this thing running.

Old September 4th, 2006, 07:50 AM
Friend of Wrox

1)...project location is not trusted

This normally means you've installed it on a network share (a UNC path). This is not the preferred way to install a .net project on a developer's computer.

2)...make sure application for wdproj is installed

This is the web deployment project explained in the deployment chapter. You don't need this for testing on your local computer.

Regarding SQL, your best best is to use SQL Express, since that doesn't even require a connection string, and you can automatically connect to the DB distributed in the code download without making any changes to web.config.

Deploying to a full version of SQL is a little harder, but you can read about that in the deployment chapter, and do some web searches on it. In this case you'll have to attach the DB files to your SQL Server instance and you'll need the right credentials to set up the connection string.

It's very unlikely that this connection name is used by TheBeerHouse: PC315417827683. It's also a bit unlikely that your instance name is SQL05. And I think the AttachDBFilename option is only for the express version.

I suggest you D/L and install the free SQL Express, and then use an unmodified web.config file. Save the more advanced options for later.

Eric

Old September 5th, 2006, 05:09 PM

Thanks for the information, but I still have problems.

I need to use the full version of sql server not the express. Would someone else please help.

I also still dont understand the trusted issue and the project problem. Why isnt this example more useful for people who want to use the full version?

Will someone please help me.

Old September 5th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Friend of Wrox

The use of the full version is documented in the deployment chapter. Did you read it?

This book assumes you have basic knowledge of SQL Server (any version), so the instructions aren't intended to teach someone who's never used it before.

You may want to use a beginner book first if you don't know much about SQL Server or ASP.NET.

Eric

Old September 24th, 2006, 11:28 AM

Hello... Thank you for this question and to Eric who is attempting to provided answers. (I had a quetion about the TBH_Deploy.wdproj. I will look at that later.)

I am sucessfully using the full SQL 2005.

I did read (and re-read) the readme file with this project. I understand why Eric suggested SQL Express if you are not familiar with SQL. I would suggest that you just start by installing SQL Express on a dev box... just so you can see the project work. ;)

I got SQL 2005 to work by commenting out all connection strings except for the one below:

<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=MyDatabaseServername;Initial Catalog=TheBeerHouse;User ID=sa;Password=ThePasswordForThisAccount" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>

Hopefully this will help.

Old September 26th, 2006, 06:23 PM

Send a message via MSN to mhn002 Send a message via Yahoo to mhn002

Check it out my m-aatechsources.com utilized TBH. I am still working to get my Newsletter work than I am go to Disney world:
http://m.aatechsources.com

mhn002

mhn002