Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old September 29th, 2006, 12:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to patelc75 Send a message via Yahoo to patelc75
Default electronic format of book

Is there a way to buy the electronic format of this book? I check on Safari and its not there

thanks
chirag

Old September 29th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Wrox Staff
Points: 13,964, Level: 51 Points: 13,964, Level: 51 Points: 13,964, Level: 51
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

The ebook is available from Wiley (Wrox's owner) at:
http://www.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyT...47004912X.html

Jim Minatel
Senior Acquisitions Editor
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press
Blog: http://wroxblog.typepad.com/
Jim's Book of the week: No book this week - Donate to the Red Cross!
Old October 6th, 2006, 03:51 PM
Authorized User

Will the e-book become available for free if I purchased the hardcopy?
Old October 6th, 2006, 04:16 PM
Wrox Staff

No, sorry.

Jim Minatel
WROX Press
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:09 AM
Authorized User

Oh that's very odd. E-book should be included as well. That's out of question. Anyway, i just received the hardcopy book which i ordered from Amazon and i am not impressed at all. I expected much more of this book. The reviews left on Amazon are amazing and very promising but ones you open the book and start to read you'll figure out that it is just bad spent money. Including the time i waitied for it as well the many errors inside the Vb 2005 sample code available for download. It is not worth of money neither of time. Very confusing book and nothing clearly explained. Just a short points. All i see there is asp code that is absolutelly needless. It would be much better if you just tell me "now draw a gridview and select new datasource". Instead you have put a bounch of asp code that represents how it looks when i draw a gridview on the canvas. Nevermind, i'll order a new book and i'll never buy book from Wrox again. Ones i bought the book Professional VB.NET from you and it was also useless book. This is 2nd time and it was enough. Wrox is publishing very odd books trying to be present all over and to follow the trends in programming.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:06 AM
Wrox Staff

Kulrom: I'm sorry to see that you don't like the book or find it useful. So many readers have made so many positive comments about it, both on Amazon and here in our forums, but I'm still disappointed when even 1 reader doesn't like it. Obviously, this book is just not for you. There are so many other ASP.NET books available for you to choose from, I'm sure you'll be able to find one from another publisher you do like. Best wishes.

Jim Minatel
WROX Press
Old November 2nd, 2006, 08:32 PM
Authorized User

Hah i knew that you will tell me something like this. However i am staying to my opinion about the wrox books including this one. It is nothing but a bounch of code without adequate explanation. You can lie to people who wants instant results without efforts but they will learn nothing from this book. Anyway, no matter what i say it will not change anything about the facts. However, thanks for the answer. I really appreciate it. Btw, notice that when you say this book is not for me that i am M$ VB MVP as well certified M$ app developer MCAD if it means something to you at all.
Regards :)

Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:37 PM
Authorized User

Kulrom, I don't know what your problem happens to be but this book is one of the best on the market for the subject it tackles.

At the beginning of this thread you said that the VB version of the code had no instructions and in your last message you state that you are MS certified in VB. Obviously you did not read the ReadMe file that was zipped into the project. All that you need to do is open the solution! I know, I am the guy that translated the C# to VB also MS certified.

Your complaints about the ASP.Net code are not justified. The book doesn't purport to teach using the designer, but hey, if you know how to read the code using the designer is a snap. Most of the pages that I translated were done in the designer with only a couple of instances that I actually swapped to code view. Regardless, in a few of the forums that I read, most programmers prefer writing the code because the designer is sometimes tricky to use.

Since the VB code has been posted, I have received a least a dozen e-mails from people who have thanked me for it, and a few with questions. I answer all that I can. I don't recall your name among those.

Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:38 AM
Authorized User

See I know how you feel about me cause you keep telling me. But do you know how I feel about you and the book we are talking about?
The point is; a lot useless asp code that means nothing cuz many parts are missing (i know they could be found in the project); plus lack of full coverage in all areas.
Notice that i don't want to judge you and i'm sorry if you were offended by my words. I was just trying to point that this is too serious project to be covered in such way (through only parts of code). At the end you will learn nothing new. If the point of this book is to provide code for you in order to finish your project by copying stuff from Marco's sample web site than i am sorry for the inconvinience. I am usually expecting to learn something when i read a new book.
I believe you agree with me that this project "TheBeerHouse" contains a lot of new things that come with the new FW but in the book it is very poor explained or even not covered at all.
Now do you see my frustration here!?
Old November 3rd, 2006, 03:14 AM
Authorized User

Then you missed the point of the book. I suspect that you were anticipating a book that would show you how to code and this is not that kind of book. The purpose of the book is to give the reader some insight into how to create a website with certain design goals. In the process of creating the website Marco goes through the steps he's taken to arrive at his solution.

You can program and never learn anything about system analysis. If someone came up to you tomorrow and offered you $5000 to design a website, how are you going to accomplish that? You might give the client something that you've been doing right along, but are you going to serve the client's needs? Suppose the website is to be run strictly intra-net? You might not need to have form authentication and your roles may already be predetermined or not needed at all.

I'm not at all offended by your comments regarding the VB code. I simply wanted to point out that help is available, but that I hadn't noticed you seeking it. Instead you simply seemed to want to echo sentiments that I have heard in other forums regarding Wrox books that I haven't found to be true.