Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old October 5th, 2007, 01:43 PM

Hey MythicalMe.

I have made it through Chapter 4. Everything is working correctly except for the Admin menu link. If I run my app the Admin menu link is showing up before I log in even though I integrated the role management on the site map. I added the required "roles" attribute to the sitemapnode for the Admin link in the web.sitemap file. I also added the required sitemap provider in the web.config file and added the attribute securityTrimmingEnabled = true.

Is there something tricky about this feature that I missed while going through the first 4 chapters? Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old October 5th, 2007, 04:08 PM

jtizzy,

Did you first create the different roles and passwords?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...5/04/Security/

Old October 5th, 2007, 08:38 PM

Hey charleshua,

yes. What I figured out was that I either needed a <location> block in the web.config file restricting access to the Admin folder. Or, what I noticed in the Chapter 4 download from mythicalme was that the Admin folder had it's own web.config file with <location> blocks restricting access.

It made sense but, the book didn't talk about this Admin folder having it's own web.config file at this point nor did it mention anything about also needing <location> restrictions in order to get the roles functionality to work.

jtizzy

Old January 12th, 2008, 05:55 PM

Hi,
Thanks a lot for the effort. I had a problem before in my code and the moment I got yours I knew what problem I had and I fixed it.

Now Why does all our code give messages for our Web.config tags? ex.

Could not find schema information for the element 'theBeerHouse'.

Old January 24th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 505, Level: 8 Points: 505, Level: 8 Points: 505, Level: 8
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hello MythicalMe:

I found your chapters very helpful in going through the book. I have one question that I still don't understand.

Why does your chapters show two CustomEvents projects, one named "TBH_CustomEvents" and the other, "TBHCustomEvents", where the Beerhouse only shows 1, named TBHCustomEvents in a TBH_CustomEvents folder.

I copied yours as best I could, creating two projects to do so, and it seems to work but I'm still not sure I did it correctly. Do you create two projects and then add one to the other?

Rachel
Old April 16th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Authorized User

Default Whatever happened to chap by chap code after chap 5?

Why aren't those chap 6-10 downloadable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jminatel View Post
Thanks a million MythicalMe. You rock!
These chapter by chapter versions for 2-5 are now posted on Wrox.com at the book download page:
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTit...load_code.html

Jim Minatel
Senior Acquisitions Editor
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press
Blog: http://wroxblog.typepad.com/
Jim's Book of the week: No book this week - Donate to the Red Cross!
Old April 19th, 2010, 09:38 AM
Wrox Staff
Points: 17,437, Level: 57 Points: 17,437, Level: 57 Points: 17,437, Level: 57
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

The book code was designed and tested to be installed all at once. After publication, many readers asked to have the code chapter by chapter so they could build the site one chapter at a time. A reader (MythicalMe) was kind enough to create the chapter by chapter versions for chapters 2-5 but no one has done the rest of the book that way.
In addition to the extra work, one reason is that as a teaching tool, there are a lot of similarities between chapters 6-10 and some of the early chapters, reapplying the same concepts to new parts of the site. So most readers who wanted this would get the most benefit from chapters 2-5.
Wrox on Twitter: http://twitter.com/wrox
Did someone here help you? Click on their post!