Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old December 1st, 2006, 10:47 PM

Default Blank Default Page

I was wondering if someone could suggest the possible cause of a problem I am having when deploying the site...

Everything loads up properly except the default page is totally blank. All the other pages work as expected. I used the c# tool to load my database and all the identities seem to have been maintained. I tried changing the aspnet_Applications table to

/ /
/membername /membername

and a bunch of other combinations. I am using www.webhost4life.com to host the site. The site does fully work on my personal pc under IIS.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

- Greg
Old December 2nd, 2006, 03:44 AM

I've had the same problem with webhost4life. Submit a trouble ticket and they'll get the .net application configured correctly for your root folder.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 02:43 PM

I submitted the ticket and they instructed me to add change the .net version as it defaults to 1.1 not 2.0. Did that and now it works ok the msite4now.com subdomain but my domain is still blank any more ideas?

- Greg
Old December 2nd, 2006, 04:11 PM

I think you just need to go one more round with them.

They're very helpful but sometimes it takes a couple ticket exchanges to work out an issue like this. Make sure you tell them that it's the root folder that's having the problems.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 10:26 AM
Friend of Wrox

Did you set up your domain pointers so they correctly aim at your site?

Which Registrar are you using?

This site will show if your domain is correctly pointing at WebHost4Life, and then the only remaining config items are to point your domain to the right server withing the WebHost4Life network:
http://www.whois.sc/

This link has video tutorials showing you how to set this up:
http://www.webhost4life.com/kb/question.php?qstId=140

Old December 4th, 2006, 10:05 AM

englere yes the domain is pointing correctly that was never an issue.

Here is where I am at... If I create a subfolder in the root directory and link it as a virtual directory and then copy the site inside and finally update the application table in the data base to

Application LoweredApplication
"/" "/"
"/subfolder" "/subfolder"

the site will work great. But if i change the IIS path to that subfolder it breaks agian. So as a temp solution I am going to put a redirect from www.mydomain.com to www.mydomain.com/subfolder to make the site work. But this is not the way it is suppose to work. As I would prefer the site to work from the root directory. The help desk mentioned changing the application table in the database to "/" but there is already an entry for that and it is a unique key. Should i just remove the second entry?

- Greg
Old December 4th, 2006, 03:17 PM

Yes, I think you need to remove the lowered application for it to work correctly. I'm pretty sure you can't nest applications.
Old December 5th, 2006, 01:26 PM

Thank you all for the help the site is now up and running. What I did was set it up in a sub director called website and configure the database application paths. The site worked great then I placed a Default.aspx file in the root directory that does a 301 redirect to the sub-folder. From what I've read this is good SEO practice as it is friendly and does not split your page rankings when people link to you (i.e. links to www.mysite.com and mysite.com are treated as two different page ranks).

- Greg
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Friend of Wrox

>links to www.mysite.com and mysite.com are treated as two different page ranks

yeah, but your users have a double hit before they can bring up your page.

There should only be one IIS application per shared-hosted site. I don't know how you ended up this way because Marco and I both use WebHost4Life and we've had no problems (shhh, this isn't supposed to be an endorsement).

Maybe this is caused by the way you migrated your aspnet tables to the hosted DB?

Or maybe you are trying to run more than 1 application?

Eric