Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old December 30th, 2006, 02:20 PM

Default Performance Tweaks

I've been working with TBH code for a while, and I've noticed it seems to run a bit slowly at times. I was wondering if there were any specific changes people had made to either the database structure or the code increase performance. This is probably a good question for anyone interested in using TBH as a learning tool and as a code foundation.

Thanks!

Old January 1st, 2007, 01:00 AM
Friend of Wrox

There's a lot of caching in this site, mostly the lazy loading type. There's always opportunites to revisit this to optimize the caching.

You can set up an automated test of hitting the site from a test program and then chart it's response time.

You may be shocked to see that it gets faster the more often you hit it, up to some point, and then it starts slowing down again. This is a characteristic of sites that do a lot of caching. This is especially true with a third-party hosted site. If you set up an automated program to hit your site about once every 10 seconds, the overall response time for other users may improve. This will keep your app domain active and keep the caches full.

And there's another factor that the hosting companies don't want you to know about. The more active sites often get migrated to servers that have fewer sites on them. This gives you higher performance for no additional charge - provided you don't go over your bandwidth limit (if you use a hosting company that has a limit for your plan).

How do you know how many sites are active on the server your hosting company assigned you to? Check www.whois.sc and look at the reverse IP info.

Eric

Old January 5th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to vantoko

i would also look at the indexes of the database! They mght need some tuning.

Old January 5th, 2007, 06:47 PM

Can you be a bit more specific about that? I'm not a DB optimization expert by any means.

Old January 5th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Authorized User

I am looking at using the TBH code as a foundation as well, and first of all, thank you Marco and everyone else who contributed to this project, I have been looking for something like this for a long time!

However I have also experienced the response time to be slow. Especially on the dotnet2themax sample itself.

For those people who have been extensively working with the TBH code:
how does the performance compare with other available code bases such as YetAnotherForum.Net and CommunityServer?

Has anyone tried the solution suggested earlier to automatically hit the site continuously?

Old January 8th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to vantoko

My site (http://www.skistyle.be) is being monitored by webceo and my performance has always been good (even though I have a rather large background image
I adapted some of the tables so I created more indexes on items I query using a where statement so a combination is used.