Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming: Problem - Design - Solution by Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780764584640
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET 2.0 Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 978-0-7645-8464-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old February 9th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Authorized User

Koen,

Sorry - poor language skills. Lucky for me when I was in Amsterdam everyone seemed to speak English.

It seem a bit odd to me that the lowest, flatest country in Europe would have much interest in skiing. Go figure.

I am very interested in your remarks on SEO and design. More please.

By dropping the MS Menu and Web.SiteMap you seem to have lost the breadcrumbs. I tried to make a better menu than the simple one in The Beer House but I didn't want to worry about a manually coded bradcrumb feature. I don't really understand menus and SEO.

Old February 9th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Friend of Wrox

You should respect this topic and only write here the url's based on this book! If you dialog about each site... in future this topic has a thousand of replys but just a few urls for users can see...

Forgive this offtopic

Old February 10th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Authorized User

I stand rebuked.

The original posting which defined the topic of this thread was:

Quote:
quote:Post up the url of your site if you've used TheBeerHouse as a starting point :) It would be interesting to see how much people have extended the sample website.

This was not a sticky. I suggested that it should be. I also summarized all the Beer House sites known to me at the time.

The topic here I believe therefore to be extensions. A couple people have been impressed with the graphics of the exemplary dutch ski site - a major extention - and have asked how they were done. The author graciously responded. That reply helped me and I'm sure others.

This is after all a discussion forum not a naked list of URLs. It would be easy enough for the master web makers at WROX to create a simple URL listing feature somewhere. In fact if this is really needed I'll be glad to make one myself in my Beer House based web site.

Old February 10th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Friend of Wrox

the first thing that i made when i knew this project was come here and see different sites made with this project.

obviously that rule doesn't exist, but sticky sufficiently facilitates to exist one topic here that joins all these urls.
If it was for taking off doubts of layouts probably the administrator had not created this sticky.
I only gave my opinion and I do not intend to continue the discuss.
Each one is free to place the answers where to want.
Old February 11th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Authorized User

My feeling is that everyone would prefer to see further discussions develop based on the sites posted, such as SEO optimizations, etc.. rather than just plain urls. Too bad this thread is not in a form of a tree control, this way each url could spawn a discussion of its own. I am still waiting for TBH to become its own forum on asp.net forums, I think it would greatly benefit, for one thing it would become exposed to the rich community of developers there. And I think it supports tree-control... :) To show the demand, I propose everyone here submits requests to the moderators of the asp.net forums to create the starter kit forum for TBH.

Old February 11th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Friend of Wrox

oooshola can edit him first post and uptdate it with all urls.
With that all urls will be placed in first page! It's a possible solution.

Old February 11th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Authorized User

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Maxxim
 oooshola can edit him first post and uptdate it with all urls.
With that all urls will be placed in first page! It's a possible solution.
I like this idea. I will try my best to capture all the sites posted up here when I get back home (please send me a email if I miss any).

The purpose of my original post was to provide both encouragement and inspiration for those who have the book.

Encouragement: Because of how steep the learning curve is for the book, it would be nice to see that there are many who have completed it (i.e. a confirmation or validation for someone not to give up).

Inspiration: Once you're encouraged, you then want to see how far you can take the site right? So this thread should be a flow of ideas as well.

I'm willing to risk a little "clutter" in this thread in order to accommodate the above 2 goals. Plus I'll try to make up for it by posting them in one place at the top :)

Old February 13th, 2007, 04:27 PM
Authorized User

Send a message via MSN to iPagan

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vantoko
 Hi,

my site skistyle (with an L :) is actually in dutch.
Thanks for the feedback.
I got the Gyst from the site, looks very good! although I couldn't vouch for the content, as I have enough trouble speaking english without another language thats actually spoken to work with too :D

--

404 real life user not found
Old February 18th, 2007, 12:52 PM

www.maggot.tv

The current site is on a shared server and was altered to use SQL Server 2005. I hacked around with the base Beer House app to get what we wanted (functional site going live quickly :))

We are about to move maggot.tv to a dedicated server, when we do I'm going to bring the forum and the shop into play.

My only problem now is because we can't afford to buy SQL Server 2005 I've got to work out how to swap it all back to SQL Express

Chalk up another request for a dedicated forum on asp.net from me.

Old February 18th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Authorized User

Sowen69, cool site. I can see you completely revamped the visual layout successfully. Out of curiosity, why use your own dedicated server? Many hosts offer pretty cheap dedicated or VP server packages that include the full SQL Server 2005.