Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: ASP.NET MVC Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 9780470410950
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book ASP.NET MVC Website Programming Problem Design Solution by Nicholas Berardi, Al Katawazi, and Marco Bellinaso; ISBN: 9780470410950
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: ASP.NET MVC Website Programming Problem Design Solution ISBN: 9780470410950 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old September 26th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Authorized User

Default Setup Issue

Hi

Having used the original Beerhouse to build a website (which is almost finished after 2 yrs!), I'm now taking a look at this version.

I've spent a couple of hours trying to install the ASPNETDB database. I tried it on SQLEXPRESS but received an error 'version was 652 and only 610 supported' or similar.

So then I attached it successfully to my local sql 2008 (developer edition) with the MDF file located outside of the App_Data folder.
The connection string in web.config is:
<add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=xxxx\xxxx1;Initial Catalog=TheBeerHouseVB;Integrated Security=True"
providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

I can add the database as a data connection in my VS2008 server explorer and also create an identical connection string by adding a datasource in design view on one of the beerhouse aspx pages.

Help with the following error message would be appreciated:

Server Error in '/BeerHouse35' Application.
A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

Source Error:

Line 140: Public Function GetSiteMapInfoByURL(ByVal URL As String) As SiteMapInfo
Line 141:
Line 142: Dim lsmi As SiteMapInfo = (From lai In SiteMapctx.SiteMapInfos _
Line 143: Where lai.URL = URL).FirstOrDefault
Line 144: Return lsmi

Source File: F:\xxx\TheBeerHouse3.5\VB\TBHBLL\Navigation\SiteMa pRepository.vb

Paul
Old September 26th, 2010, 05:26 AM
Authorized User

As usual, within 2mins of posting the issue, I've fixed it!

It was simply that I hadn't changed the connection string for the 'TheBeerHouseEntities' to reflect a different datasource:

old
<add name="TheBeerHouseEntities" connectionString="metadata=res://*;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string=&quot;Data Source=.;Initial Catalog=TheBeerHouseVB;Integrated Security=True;MultipleActiveResultSets=True&quot;" providerName="System.Data.EntityClient"/>

new
<add name="TheBeerHouseEntities" connectionString="metadata=res://*;provider=System.Data.SqlClient;provider connection string=&quot;Data Source=server\instance;Initial Catalog=TheBeerHouseVB;Integrated Security=True;MultipleActiveResultSets=True&quot;" providerName="System.Data.EntityClient"/>
Old September 26th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Authorized User

There appears to be a bug with Url rewriting:

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Requested URL: /BeerHouse35/category-beer-related-articles

This is one of many pages on the site with this error. Looking in the SiteMap table:
SiteMapID Url RealUrl
197 Category/Beer-related-articles.aspx browseArticles.aspx?Categoryid=28

but entering the address ..../Category/Beer-related-articles.aspx doesn't work either

I've reviewed all the posts on here and the issues on codeplex and here is an outstanding issue from nine months ago :(
http://thebeerhouse.codeplex.com/workitem/25834

Last edited by jimjamjo; September 26th, 2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old September 26th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Wrox Author

Send a message via AIM to nberardi

That is not ASP.NET MVC, I think you are looking for this forum:

http://p2p.wrox.com/book-asp-net-3-5...-solution-526/
Old September 26th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Authorized User

sorry, my mistake