Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Web Programming > Adobe Web Programming > BOOK: Beginning ActionScript 2.0
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ActionScript 2.0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ActionScript 2.0 by Nathan Derksen, Jeff Berg; ISBN: 9780764577680
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ActionScript 2.0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old December 14th, 2006, 12:13 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to flashfreelancer
Default pg 49 Photo Viewer script does not work

What's going on guys? I can't afford these scripting mistakes. This is the second one and I'm on page 49!!!

The "trace" command is undefined all three times. I've triple-checked the code on the .as file. Here is the code:

var photoArray:Object = new Object ();

photoArray["weddingPhoto1"]=newObject();
photoArray["weddingPhoto1"].fileName="weddingPhoto1.jpg";
photoArray["weddingPhoto1"].fileSize=150;
photoArray["weddingPhoto1"].description="Exchanging of the rings.";

photoArray["westIndiesVacation1"]=newObject();
photoArray["westIndiesVacation1"].fileName="vacation1.jpg";
photoArray["westIndiesVacation1"].fileSize=64;
photoArray["westIndiesVacation1"].description="Arriving at the airport in sweltering heat.";

trace(photoArray["weddingPhoto1"].fileName);
trace(photoArray["weddingPhoto1"].fileSize);
trace(photoArray["westIndiesVacation1"].description);
Old December 15th, 2006, 05:15 PM

This appears to be a recurrence of the error you found in the try it out on page 73.

In the book, the syntax is photoArray["weddingPhoto1"]=new Object();

Somehow we lost a space character again after the new keyword. I am looking for where this might have occurred elsewhere.
Old December 16th, 2006, 02:27 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to flashfreelancer

You're right. Thank you. I guess a space is necessary on some lines of code. I thought it wasn't because there was a statement made on page 25 (WHITE SPACE) that stated that white spacing was more a personal preference issue rather than a necessity on some lines of code.

Old December 16th, 2006, 12:21 PM

Right on. You are correct. I hear what you're saying about the white space and our statements about it in chapter 2. I will confer with Nathan about adding a note in errata to clarify the use of minimum white space where required by instructional keywords. Examples of such keywords are var, new, return, delete, as well as class keywords such as get, set, extends, etc.