Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > ASP.NET and ASP > ASP 3 Classic ASP Active Server Pages 3.0 > BOOK: Beginning ASP 3.0
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP 3.0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old February 4th, 2004, 08:25 AM

Default Chapter 14 page 580 Problems with example

Hi,

I am having problems with the SQLUpdate.asp example on this page.

The error message I receive is:

Error Type:
Microsoft JET Database Engine (0x80004005)
Operation must use an updateable query.
/begasp/sqlupdate.asp, line 22

Browser Type:
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Page:
GET /begasp/sqlupdate.asp

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

John.
Old February 4th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Friend of Wrox

see http://p2p.wrox.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9293
Old February 4th, 2004, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I managed to get it fixed. that link you gave was a bit vague simply because I'm not familiar with Windows XP administrative tasks. My problem was I had simple file sharing enabled which prevented me from explicitly allowing access rights to the database.

Here's how to do it (explained as if you're two years old - just the way I like it)

1. In the folder where your files and database is kept (ie /BegASPFiles) click tools, folder options, view scroll down to the bottom of the list and uncheck use simple file sharing.

2. Right-click on the database file and choose properties click security, click add and type in the name of the internet guest account which is IUSR_machinename (replace machinename with the name of your computer).

3. Tick the allow full control box and click ok.

That should do it. If it still doesn't work, try moving the database file into the directory with the asp files (ie /BegASPFiles).

Cheers.

John.
Old February 4th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Friend of Wrox

Ah yes, simple file sharing does get in the way a bit.

You really need to add permissions to the folder that contains the mdb file, not just the mdb file itself. This is because access uses an ldb file too (in the same folder) and the IUSR_blahblah account needs to be able to control that file too.

Anyway, glad its working for you now.

rgds
Phil