Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > ASP.NET and ASP > ASP.NET 1.0 and 1.1 > BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 1.0
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 1.0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 1.0 with C# by Chris Goode, John Kauffman, Christopher L. Miller, Neil Raybould, S. Srinivasa Sivakumar, Dave Sussman, Ollie Cornes, Rob Birdwell, Matt Butler, Gary Johnson, Ajoy Krishnamoorthy, Juan T. Llibre, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764543708
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 1.0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 4th, 2004, 06:36 AM
Authorized User

Default Creating an ASP.Net Application in VS.Net

Whenever i try to create a web project in visual studio.net , i encounter an error that says:can't create file in the location specified since it is not mapped.I have the default option checked i.e. File Share and not Frontpage Server Extensions.The error code is HTTP 404, i really don't know what to do although i have IIS 6.0 and ASP.Net configured on my workstation and ASP.Net apps are working fine in IE.I like to test them and work on them in Visual Studio.Net.
Any guidance or help reagrding this issue would be appreciated....thanx

CEO
InteliSoft

Maqsood ur Rahman
Life:An Endless Journey towards Perfection

Maqsood ur Rahman
Old July 4th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 66,761, Level: 100 Points: 66,761, Level: 100 Points: 66,761, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,391 Times in 1,371 Posts

Hi Maqsood,

Thank you for your personal message. I'll respond here, if you don't mind.

Did you enable the extensions for ASP.NET in IIS 6? By default, ASP.NET pages are disabled on Server 2003. You say your "ASP.Net apps are working fine in IE" but do you run them from your Server 2003 Web server?

What do you use for the http address when you create a new project? And what folder do you point VS.NET to when you create the project? Do the http address and the local folder map to the same folder under IIS?

Hope this helps,

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Old July 5th, 2004, 05:02 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 66,761, Level: 100 Points: 66,761, Level: 100 Points: 66,761, Level: 100

Hi Maqsood,

Again, thanks for your personal message. Would you mind responding here at P2P instead of e-mailing me directly? That makes things a lot easier....

Anyway, is the error message correct? Does http://localhost indeed not map to C:\Inetpub\wwwroot? To find out, open the Internet Information Services manager and look at the properties of the Default Web Site. On the directory tab, you can see where the path is pointing to.

How many computers are you using? Is 192.168.0.21 the server? If so, do you use a separate client system or are you developing locally?

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
While typing this post, I was listening to: Trouble (Underviewer) by Front 242 (Track 10 from the album: Geography 2) What's This?
Old July 6th, 2004, 08:40 AM
Authorized User

I am developing aspx pages on my local computer, although im connected to LAN in order to get internet access.All my aspx pages are stored on my own system in path :C:\Inetpub\wwwroot.And VS.Net is installed in C:\Program Files\....I believe that 192.168.0.21 is my system's IP address.
I did check the Home Directory of my Default Web Site in IIS manager the location is C:\Inetpub\wwwroot and my Execute Permissions are set to Scripts Only.My Local Path Loction has Read,Write,Log Visits and Index Resource options checked.
I don't have any clue how to solve this problem, please let me what can be done....thanx

CEO
InteliSoft

Maqsood ur Rahman
Old July 6th, 2004, 08:43 AM
Authorized User

Im just using my own single computer to develop and test me aspx pages...thamx

CEO
InteliSoft

Maqsood ur Rahman
Old July 6th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Wrox Author

As I said in my previous message, does http://localhost work?

Also, the security settings you mentioned have to do with IIS. How about the NTFS settings? To find out, open a Windows Explorer, located the Inetpub folder, right-click it and choose Properties. On the Security tab you can see who's allowed to access the folder.

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
While typing this post, I was listening to: Supernova At The End Of The Universe by The Orb (Track 3 from the album: The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld - Disc 1) What's This?
Old July 6th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Authorized User

http://localhost does not work,it gives me the following message when i load aspx page in IE:425 HTTP Error
Unable to connect with remote host.
And again the same error message i.e. HTTP 404 is encountered when i try http://localhost in VS.Net.
As far as access permissions are concerned, all access permissions are checked for Inetpub folder for my administrator account.
What to do now.....?

CEO
InteliSoft

Maqsood ur Rahman
Old July 6th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Wrox Author

This is really weird. Localhost should be your local machine.

What happens when you open a command prompt and type

ping localhost

what IP address do you see?

Are you running a firewall or anti-virus software?

Another thing to check is settings in IIS. Open the Properties for the Default Website and look at the Web Site tab. What IP address and port number is listed there?

The NTFS settings list your account, but something else as well?? When you request the pages, IIS will usually use the Network Service account, so that account needs permissions as well.

A real stupid question: Are you sure 192.168.0.21 is your machine? Are you sure you are developing the pages locally?

If all this doesn't help, I am put of ideas.

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
While typing this post, I was listening to: The Negotiation Limerick File by Beastie Boys (Track 16 from the album: Hello Nasty) What's This?
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Authorized User

Now there is something really strange..you're rite...when i ping localhost it gives me the address 127.0.0.1 with computer name maxood.
And when i ping maxood it gives me the ip address 192.168.0.21.
The ip address is 192.168.0.21 and port number is 80 on the web site tab of properties of the default web site.
I have made my Inetpub folder as fully sharable and all permissions for every account are checked on it.

I wonder if u have any clue what is really going on here...

CEO
InteliSoft

Maqsood ur Rahman
Old July 6th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Wrox Author

It's not that weird. A computer can have multiple IP addresses. Almost every computer always has 127.0.0.1 assigned, but it can also have another network IP address.

In IIS, change the hardcoded IP address to Unassigned and then try again using http://localhost instead of the name of your machine. Does that work?

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
While typing this post, I was listening to: Track 8 by Iggy Pop + Consat Angels (Track 8 from the album: Various) What's This?