Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX ISBN: 978-0-470-11283-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX by Wallace B. McClure, Paul Glavich, Steve C. Orr, Craig Shoemaker, Steven A. Smith, Jim Zimmerman; ISBN: 9780470112830
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX ISBN: 978-0-470-11283-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 31st, 2007, 08:34 AM

Default CSK vsi Where is it?

In Chapter 2 "Adding to Existing App" section. The book has you download a huge web site starter kit. the Commerce Starter Kit (CSK). However it then goes into how to install this (well sortof) using a vsi installer But, this file is no longer available from www.asp.net. When you download all you get is a zip file containing the aspx file for the site (lots of them) but no sln or vsi file to be found. Getting this to function is near impossible unless you built the thing yourself. I have decided to skip this section of the book and move to chapter 3. I hope that the rest of the book doesn't keep failing like the stuff in chapter two. It sure would be nice if the author would have not assumed that all would always go perfectly and provided some tips on getting some of the existing code to actually work when things don't go so smooth. I guess they assumed that everyone has there same configuration and that downloads will always stay the same as what they used. I will continue to try and learn AJAX from this book, since I bought it, but it better start working. I am running the VS '05 with all the latest add-ons as well as SQL Server 2005 and other stuff all my ASP.NET stuff works fine so I don't think I'm missing stuff. It just seems that the downloads don't act for me the way they are described in the book. I am very disapointed at this point but not yet willing to give up. Also the book states that the CSK is available from the books web site but no link is provided and when I go the what I think is the books site (here) I find no CSK downloads... Sorry for the long rant but I am very frustrated...

seabhacre
Old April 7th, 2008, 02:29 AM

hi,
We both are faced with the same problem. Have u managed to find the vsi installation kit. Can u reply me with resource url. :)

Thanks,

Seenivasan

Old July 29th, 2008, 01:17 PM

I was able to get the VSI file from the "All the downloads from the book" download. It was located in "112830.ALL.zip\112830ch02 code.zip\Ch2_Installing_Source\CSK2.zip\"

When you run the VSI it will copy and make a zip file in your templates and will then be an option when making a new project/website.