Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 by Chris Hart, John Kauffman, David Sussman, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764588501
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old November 21st, 2005, 07:50 PM

Default C# Code?

Just wondering if I am missing something, but the description for this book says the code samples are provided in both C# and VB.net, and this the reason I chose this particular title. I downloaded all of the sample code and have looked through the entire book, and all I see is VB.net code? I really need the C# code because that is the language that has been chosen for development in my place of employment...

Old November 22nd, 2005, 04:03 AM
Authorized User

As far as I understood it, we were only initially doing VB, so I'm not sure why the description details both languages. Someone from Wrox will have to comment on that.

We do want to do a C# version of the code, but time hasn't been available yet.

Dave

Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:34 AM
Wrox Staff
Points: 17,869, Level: 58 Points: 17,869, Level: 58 Points: 17,869, Level: 58
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I don't see any text on the book itself referring to C# code so I'm guessing you are referring to the online description at wrox.com or Amazon. That's an error on my part, left over from a very early description I wrote before we settled on VB online. I'll get that corrected immediately. Sorry.

Jim Minatel
Senior Acquisitions Editor
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press
Blog: http://wroxblog.typepad.com/
Jim's Book of the week: No book this week - Donate to the Red Cross!
Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:20 PM

Jim,
My fault. I apparently posted this note in the wrong conference. It should have been in the Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 forum. My apologies.
Bob

Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:23 PM
Wrox Staff
Points: 17,869, Level: 58 Points: 17,869, Level: 58 Points: 17,869, Level: 58
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

You got the right forum for that book. Is there some place on the printed book itself that mentions C# code? If so, please point me to it.

Jim Minatel
Senior Acquisitions Editor
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press
Blog: http://wroxblog.typepad.com/
Jim's Book of the week: No book this week - Donate to the Red Cross!
Old November 22nd, 2005, 01:49 PM

I ordered the book from Amazon.com, based on the description on both your website and the description on Amazon. The descriptions on both of these sites said the book contained both C# and VB.net examples.

Old November 22nd, 2005, 02:43 PM

Jim,
I didn't ask a question about C# that I know of. However, the question I did ask mysteriously went away between last night and this morning :-)

I reasked the questio today, which is, where are the files discussed on page 664 of the book. I downloaded the code from the WROX website but don't see these files.

I wonder if my original note and the question about C# (which I assume someone else asked) got tangled up somehow.

Bob

Old November 22nd, 2005, 02:45 PM

Ok, I get it. This was DMG's question

Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:00 AM
Wrox Author

Hi Bob,
       I've got page 664 - I'm following this thread, which files in this particular zip don't you see? It should be clearer sorry - (part of the problem blindly writing instructions for downloading code when the code isn't up at the time) that this is referring to the final application, in which case you need to download the Final application zip file.

If you download this and sort the alphabetical listing you should be able to see aspnet.mdf, aspnet_log.ldf, WroxUnited.mdf and WroxUnited_log.ldf. Check the subfolder structure - they should both be unzipped in the WroxUnited\App_Data folder. I've checked and they are all in there.

Chris

Chris Ullman
Programmer/Technical Author
http://www.cuasp.co.uk
Old November 23rd, 2005, 09:19 AM
Wrox Author

Hi dmg,
       Apologies for the misunderstanding on the C# code side. Personally I'm a C#er by choice myself. If you can hold on, we are looking at doing a version of the application code in C# and indeed the chapter code, however as you will see the book code examples are in VB.NET. However chapters 1-5 (and 7 I believe) are completely control-based and don't require use of either language.

With the new changes in .NET 2.0, the use of C# and VB.NET is practically interchangeable (additions such as the USING construct to VB.NET). Chapter 9 is the only one where this a kind of duality where we explain the code-constructs for the first time.

We were hoping for a little more time on deciding what to do but the errors on the web site have forced our hand. We're debating this one and we'll get back to you on it.

Chris

Chris Ullman
Programmer/Technical Author
http://www.cuasp.co.uk