Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 by Chris Hart, John Kauffman, David Sussman, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764588501
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old December 6th, 2005, 01:00 PM
Authorized User

Jeff

Thanks for the understanding. I could never be condescending to someone who is learning. People who think they are asking stupid questions are just asking the things we didn't explain well enough. Besides, you should see some of the dumb things I do 8)

It's funny that no matter how many books we write, once it's done you always think "I wish we'd done ...".

We do have an installation section, in appendix B. It may seem odd that it's at the back, but there is actually a reason for this - many people will have already installed the product and having chapter 1 full of installation automatically puts people off because a) they don't like paying for this sort of thing, and b) it looks complex. That's an average assessment and obviously doesn't affect everyone, but it's more common than you'd think.

So, we decided to put a section at the back. At the time of writing Microsoft weren't sure how they were going to distribute the express edition of products, nor how much they would cost. We didn't have time go through all variations, althuogh I did check them as much as possible. Do make sure that you let us know of further problems in this area, as we will keep errata updated.

Dave

Old December 6th, 2005, 03:06 PM

For the purpose of completeness, I will document the steps in Appendix B which did not fit my configuration.

As stated above, my config is:
Windows XP (sp2)
VS 2005
IIS 5.1

1. p. 662, Step 1, Create Alias

The "snap-in" list does not include "IIS Virtual Directory Management"

2. p. 662-3, Step 2, Console

It doesn't tell you how to get the IIS console up and running. This can be found under the Start menu using "Administrative Tools -> Internet Information Services".

3. p. 664, Wrox United Installation

As we know now, the zip file is not named correctly (AllChapters.zip) and it does not extract as expected.

4. I needed to use the following two commands (not sure if the first was required) to get the application to work:

> aspnet_regiis -ga <username>
> aspnet_regiis -i

5. In addition, I needed to run the IIS console again, right-click on the WroxUnited virtual site and select Properties. Select the "ASP.NET" tab. And select "2.0.50727" as the ASP.NET version.

Hope this helps.
Jeff

Old December 7th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Wrox Staff
Points: 17,869, Level: 58 Points: 17,869, Level: 58 Points: 17,869, Level: 58
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

We've reposed the full download file, corrected so it doesn't contain the extra directory layer. It's now available on the book's download page.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DaveSussman
 Jeff

First off, the full download file contains an extra directory - this shouldn't be the case and I have contacted Wrox about getting this corrected. The '0764588508 replacement' directory shouldn't be there.

Dave
Jim Minatel
Senior Acquisitions Editor
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press
Blog: http://wroxblog.typepad.com/
Jim's Book of the week: No book this week - Donate to the Red Cross!
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:22 PM

I have been trying for about 6 hours to get this running and still no luck. This is my first exposure to asp pages. Glad to see this forum, gives me hope:)

setup of my pc
VS 2005 Pro installed
SQL Server 2005 Standard Edition - Installed on my pc as DPOHL2\DPSQL
IIS 5.1

I have gone through all the above comments in this post and learned a great deal.

What I have done so far:
1 - Created "E:\1_Data_Sync\Websites\WroxUnited"
2 - Gave Network Service full access to WroxUnited folder
3 - Unzipped "FinalApplication" - Now have "E:\1_Data_Sync\Websites\WroxUnited\Admin" and others there
4 - Opened up IIS - Right Clicked on Default Web Site and added a New Virtual Directory
5 - Setup new virtual directory to "WroxUnited" with same path as in step 1
6 - Gave anonymous access - it is using "DPOHL2\IUSR_DPOHL2" as the id for anonymous

this did not work so i then did
7 - Added access in SQL Server (DPOHL2\DPSQL) for "DPOHL2\IUSR_DPOHL2" with all server roles.

Still same error - Here it is

Server Error in '/WroxUnited' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)

Source Error:

Line 112: Public Overridable Property Theme() As String
Line 113: Get
Line 114: Return CType(Me.GetPropertyValue("Theme"),String)
Line 115: End Get
Line 116: Set

Source File: D:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temp orary ASP.NET Files\wroxunited\ef77326e\523c014\App_Code.zmlm--ox.6.vb Line: 114

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)]
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnErro r(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +734995
   System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndW arning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +188
   System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Connect(Boolean& useFailoverPartner, Boolean& failoverDemandDone, String host, String failoverPartner, String protocol, SqlInternalConnectionTds connHandler, Int64 timerExpire, Boolean encrypt, Boolean trustServerCert, Boolean integratedSecurity, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean aliasLookup) +820
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.Ope nLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +628
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ct or(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +170
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateC onnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection) +130
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.Creat ePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +28
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateOb ject(DbConnection owningObject) +424
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCrea teRequest(DbConnection owningObject) +66
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConne ction(DbConnection owningObject) +496
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetCo nnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +82
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenCo nnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111
   System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHolder.Open(Htt pContext context, Boolean revertImpersonate) +84
   System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.GetConne ction(String connectionString, Boolean revertImpersonation) +197
   System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider.GetPropertyV aluesFromDatabase(String userName, SettingsPropertyValueCollection svc) +766
   System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider.GetPropertyV alues(SettingsContext sc, SettingsPropertyCollection properties) +428
   System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFro mProvider(SettingsProvider provider) +410
   System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValue ByName(String propertyName) +117
   System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName) +89
   System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.GetInternal(String propertyName) +36
   System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.get_Item(String propertyName) +68
   System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.GetPropertyValue(St ring propertyName) +4
   ProfileCommon.get_Theme() in D:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temp orary ASP.NET Files\wroxunited\ef77326e\523c014\App_Code.zmlm--ox.6.vb:114
   Wrox.Web.GlobalEvents.ThemeModule.app_PreRequestHa ndlerExecute(Object Sender, EventArgs E) in E:\1_Data_Sync\Websites\WroxUnited\App_Code\ThemeM odule.vb:30
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpA pplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +92
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionS tep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +64

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

I have added DPOHL2\IUSR_DPOHL2 to access the sql server.

Here is the error msg I am receiving.

Old December 9th, 2005, 04:38 PM

Please see http://p2p.wrox.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=37465 for how I resolved the issues listed right above this comment.

Old January 12th, 2006, 03:28 PM

I have just set up IIS on my computer, and I only had to do the one aspnet_regiis command:
> aspnet_regiis -i
It works now!

Old February 11th, 2006, 02:21 PM

After working through the various items on this forum, I now get this error message when trying to view the WroxUnited site on IIS:

The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

A name was started with an invalid character. Error processing resource 'http://localhost/WroxUnited/'. Line 1, Position 2

<%@ Page Language="VB" Trace="false" MasterPageFile="~/site.master" AutoEventWireup="false" codefile="Default.aspx.vb" In...
Old February 11th, 2006, 02:39 PM

It seems that the IIS Virtual Directory Management for SQL Server mmc snap in is not on my computer. I have SQl Express as isntalled via Visual Studi 2005 Pro, and this tool seems to be a tool from MS-SQL , not IIS. What steps are needed to gt this snap in installed?
Old February 13th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Wrox Author

Try topic:

http://p2p.wrox.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=38426

which has the answer.

Regards,
Chris

Chris Ullman
Programmer/Technical Author
http://www.cuasp.co.uk
Old May 24th, 2008, 01:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to dudebodacious

Many years latter, I am supprised I am using this book, it seems so old, anyways I ran into the same problems on my test web server, I followed this tutorial to the best of my ability, and I got the silly page to work?:D