Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 by Chris Hart, John Kauffman, David Sussman, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764588501
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old April 1st, 2006, 03:47 AM

After doing some additional research on IIS and ASP.NET, I seem to have solved my own problem. Of course, I'm not sure what I didn't do before that I've done now, but that's the nature of IT. Here's how I got it to work on my system in case it benefits someone else:

The first caveat in this process was when the ASP.NET 2.0 framework was installed a few months ago with my Visual Studio package. Because I had not yet installed IIS, this meant that when I did install IIS for the first time a few days ago, it was not configured for ASP.NET 2.0. Thankfully, aspnet_regiis.exe can solve this problem. So to rectify this problem I needed to open up a command prompt and do this:

cd\windows
cd Microsoft.NET
cd Framework
cd v2.xxxxx (whatever the latest version you have installed is - do a 'dir /d')
aspnet_regiis -i

(be sure to wait for another prompt before closing the window :)

Next, make sure you have SQLXML 3.0 SP3 as stated in the errata for this book. The link is http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

I know you probably don't have to reboot, but I would recommend it at this point if at all possible. Windows likes it.

Now, the Microsoft Management Console is nifty and maybe I'll find it invaluable someday, but for today, it overcomplicates the process. Go to 'Administrative Tools' in the Control Panel and open the shortcut to 'Internet Information Services'. Expand the tree under your computer name, and then again under 'Web Sites.' Right-click 'Default Web Site' and navigate through 'New' to 'Virtual Directory...' This opens up a wizard. Click Next. Type "WroxUnited" in the textbox (assuming you've removed any identical aliases from previous attempts). Click Next. Then, find the WroxUnited directory wherever you unzipped FinalApplication.zip and click Next again. This brings up Access Permissions. For the sake of simplicity (and desperation) I allowed read, run scripts, and write (yes, for the whole application. It works doesn't it? :) Click Next and then Finish.

Now open up IE and type "http://localhost/WroxUnited" into the address bar and hit enter!

Like I said before, I had previously done all of this and it was still not working for me the other night. All I can think is that in my frustrated ignorance, I did them in the wrong combinations or tweaked other settings that compromised my progress. Anyway, my first ray of hope was when I found this forum and discovered I wasn't the only one having IIS configuration problems. I hope this helps.
Old June 30th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Authorized User

Personally, I wouldn't touch the SQL XML 3.0. They are putting out a service pack on it already. If you have already created the virtual directory in the IIS virtual directory management and are still having problems, delete the virtual directory you have created in the MMC - IIS Virtual Directory Management and then create a virtual directory in IIS. It is so much easier anyhow. Just open Internet Information Services (control panel then administrative tools then Internet Information Services) and right click on your Default Web Site choose new then virtual directory in the contextual menu, click next type in the WroxUnited in the alias box then browse to your directory where you unzipped the WroxUnited applications (C:\WebSites\WroxUnited if following the book) read and run scripts should be checked click next again and you are done!

Old August 10th, 2006, 08:48 AM

Send a message via MSN to flashkiddy

I also have the same problem. I tried all the suggestions that were done on this topic but nothing worked.

BUT!!! When I changed one IIS setting, it suddenly worked. I stopped using the Wrox folder as a virtual directory. What i did was point 'localhost' directly to the Wrox folder. And then it DID work. So it seems to have something to do with virtual folders.

What that problem is, remains a mystery to me.

Hopefully somebody can tell me/us?

Professional Flash developer and ASP.Net newbie