Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 by Chris Hart, John Kauffman, David Sussman, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764588501
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 31st, 2006, 09:38 PM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jminatel
 Reggie: I don't quite understand. Did Dave's answer ("When you unpack the code you can put it into any folder you want") not address this for you? What specifically is still an issue that you need Dave or one of the other authors to address?
Have you actually read the book and tried to follow it?

My problem is the same problem everyone else is having with this book...

It's giving bad and confusing information.

How about the book making references to at least 3 different directories for the same project and there is no indication which directory is the correct one!

Below is a list of 3 directories just from the first chapter and the Appendix reference.

C:\Websites\WroxUnited
C:\Websites\WroxUnitedCS
C:\BegASPNET2

So to answer you question if "When you unpack the code you can put it into any folder you want" helps...the answer is it doesn't help at all.
Old August 1st, 2006, 09:44 AM
Wrox Staff
Points: 17,437, Level: 57 Points: 17,437, Level: 57 Points: 17,437, Level: 57
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

OK Reggie, no question you are right that the inconsistncy in folder naming shouldn't exist. Dave said that and I agree. You get no argument from us there.

Since you mention the C:\Websites\WroxUnitedCS directory, I'm assuming you have the C# version of the book. I'd recommend using the C:\BegASPNET2 as Dave said. Within that you'll get 3 subdirs:
C:\BegASPNET2\Begin
C:\BegASPNET2\End
C:\BegASPNET2\WroxUnited

You could also install it to c:\reggiesite and get the same structure and everything will work the same. If there's an example that refers to ..\WroxUnitedCS instead, just know that you should use ..\WroxUnited.

Jim Minatel
Senior Acquisitions Editor
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press
Blog: http://wroxblog.typepad.com/
Jim's Book of the week: No book this week - Donate to the Red Cross!
Old November 1st, 2006, 11:46 PM

Wow. Just Wow. This is terribly confusing for a beginner..and I'm only in Chapter 1! Did you guys even go through the book once to see if it makes sense?

I agree with the statements of everyone else that had major complaints.

In step 1 it asks you to menu>file>new web site and then locate it at C:\websites\wroxunitedCS

This website already exists and has info in it. SO CONFUSED. Can you somehow rewrite page 14 and 15 so they actually make sense? All I'm trying to do is get started and I've got a headache.

Where do we extract the zip file to, and where do we create our new site? The directions are all over the place.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 12:51 AM

In step 6, it also says that you need to create your next page, the history of Wrox United. Right-click the site's root (C...\Chapter01) at the top of the Solution Explorer). Huh? I thought we were creating new pages in C:\Websites\Wroxunitedcs...so how did I get into C...\Chapter01?

Old November 5th, 2006, 03:24 PM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to DanM

OK then. Hopefully here is the consistent version of the try it out on Page 14-15 of the C# book. I'm going to assume that we're all using c:\BegASPNET2 as the root directory for all the stuff you've downloaded. So that's the folder you extract your download to. If you click into it, you should see three subfolders.

C:\BegASPNET2\Begin - the code you need to follow the chapters with.
C:\BegASPNET2\End - the code you should end up with by the end of the chapter.
C:\BegASPNET2\WroxUnited - the code for the entire wroxunited site.

I believe the reason that c:\websites is used in this example is that this is the directory both the authors and Microsoft suggest you use to create new web sites in. The starter code for you in c:\begaspnet2\begin\chapter01 is just two text files containing text for the two pages you create in this example. Bearing that in mind you need to create your own website.

1. Open VWD. Choose Menu > File > New Web Site. Select the template for an ASP.NET Web Site and locate it located in the File System at C:\Websites\Chapter01\. VWD aill automatically create this directory for oyu if you haven't already created it. Make sure the Language choice list is set to C#. Click OK. VWD will generate a few basic files for you - a folder named App_Data, a page named Default.aspx, and (if you expand Default.aspx) a file named Default.aspx.cs, which will hold code for the default page - and you should see a list of those new contents in your folder on the right side of the screen in the Solution Explorer. If not, choose View > Solution Explorer to make it appear.

2. In the center of VWD you will see a space for editing pages with the Default.aspx page opened. Note in the bottom-left of that window are two tabs called Design and Source. Click each in turn to observe the code and the results of the code. When in Design View, click the page and type the simple text Home Page. Press Ctrl+S to save.

3. Create a folder for images in your website by going to your Solution Explorer and right-clicking the root of your site (this will show as c:\websites\Chapter01) and then clicking "New Folder". Rename the new folder "Images".

4. Note that VWD's Solution Explorer provides the same view as Windows Explorer but only for the directory containing the website you're working on. If you opened Windows Explorer and navigated to c:\websites\Chapter01 you'd see all the files that VWD has just generated in there.

5. Back in VWD, right-click your new Images folder and click "Add Existing Item". Browse to C:\BegASPNET2\WroxUnited\Images and select all the images. Click Add to actually copy those images from the download folder to your site’s image folder.

6. Now to create your first new page containing the history of Wrox United. Right-click the root of the site in Solution Explorer(marked as C:\websites\Chapter01) and select Add New Item from the menu. Select the Web Form template in the dialog that appears and change the name from "default2.aspx" to "history.aspx". Leave the other settings as they are and click Add. The new page is generated and the basic HTML for the page is shown in VWD.

7. Click "Design" at the bottom of the window showing the new page to switch to Design View. At the bottom there's no content for history.aspx so the page itself is blank. You could type in some text if you like, but we've prepared some already which you'll find in c:\begaspnet2\begin\chapter01\history.txt. Open history.txt in notepad or some other text editor and copy and paste the text into history.aspx.

8. Repeat Step 7 for a Mishaps page, whose contents come from c:\begaspnet2\begin\chapter01\mishaps.txt.

Dan Maharry
Read the feed at http://feeds.feedburner.com/dansarchive
Old December 22nd, 2006, 12:09 AM

Send a message via MSN to peterpla

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jminatel
 OK Reggie, no question you are right that the inconsistncy in folder naming shouldn't exist. Dave said that and I agree. You get no argument from us there.

Since you mention the C:\Websites\WroxUnitedCS directory, I'm assuming you have the C# version of the book. I'd recommend using the C:\BegASPNET2 as Dave said. Within that you'll get 3 subdirs:
C:\BegASPNET2\Begin
C:\BegASPNET2\End
C:\BegASPNET2\WroxUnited

You could also install it to c:\reggiesite and get the same structure and everything will work the same. (balance of post deleted)
Precision counts in a book marketed as being "for anyone new to web programming" (back cover of "Beginning ASP.NET 2.0"), and the instructions for working with the downloaded code are fatally inconsistent throughout the book.

Responding with "install it to c:\reggiesite" truly adds insult to injury - if we're having trouble sorting out three different roots, suggesting yet another alternative root isn't going to help, now is it?

The solution would seem to be blindingly obvious - the authors should figure out what the book SHOULD HAVE said to match the downloaded code, then add the corresponding changes to the Errata. That way your customers can at least annotate their printed copies and end up with something that works.

Better proof-reading before publication, to ensure the text matches the code (or vice versa), is clearly where things went awry with this book, and is the obvious solution to prevent this in the future.
Old December 28th, 2006, 09:23 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to DanM

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by peterpla
 The solution would seem to be blindingly obvious - the authors should figure out what the book SHOULD HAVE said to match the downloaded code, then add the corresponding changes to the Errata.  That way your customers can at least annotate their printed copies and end up with something that works.

Better proof-reading before publication, to ensure the text matches the code (or vice versa), is clearly where things went awry with this book, and is the obvious solution to prevent this in the future.
Quite so and I hope that my previous answer clarifies some of the confusion and it should be noted that I'm working with Wrox at the moment to provide the definitive set of errata and downloads for the book for January 2007 ahead of an Orcas book.

Dan

Dan Maharry
Read the feed at http://feeds.feedburner.com/dansarchive
Old January 14th, 2007, 06:54 PM

I totally agree.
Wonder how the rating on amazon.com for this book is so high.
I am a seasoned web developer (with open source tools) with over 7 years of experience. But I was still confused.
I followed every step in Appendix B but had same confusion as the original poster had. Now on top of that I want to use IIS.

Guess how confused I am.

When I followed instruction on App B, The sample site worked with ASP.NET Development Server. But not with IIS.
After spending quite a time, I figured out that you must install IIS first before you install VWD. So that the .net framework installation makes proper adjustment to IIS. But the book's instruction shows VWD installation first then IIS.

Now the sample site works fine with IIS but not with .net develpoment server.
Then I encountered with this whole directory confusion as discussed here.

The author should have been more careful with writing this part.