Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 by Chris Hart, John Kauffman, David Sussman, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764588501
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old March 13th, 2006, 07:41 AM

Default Unclear instructions in chapter 1 page 15

In parapraph 1 of the Try It Out, the reader is instructed to navigate to an ASP.NET website located at c:BegASPNET2\Chapters\Begin, which assumes that that folder already exists. However, that folder does not exist on the reader's machine and there is no preceding instruction to setup that folder, nor is any such setup instruction found in Appendix B. Appendix B only has instructions to download the WroxUnited code from the wrox website and even that instruction is confusing, since the writters are not specific on whether they want you to save the file to either c:\websites or c:\BegASPNET2.

In paragraph 6 of the same Try It Out, it is clear that the writers assume that the folder c:BegASPNET2\Chapters\End\Chapter01 already exists on the readers machine, but again there was no previous instruction on downloading that folder or even where to download it from.
I need to know if I am supposed to create those folders from scratch or download them from somewhere. PLEASE HELP ANYONE?
Old March 15th, 2006, 04:36 AM
Wrox Author

Hi,
   Download it from the www.wrox.com site - the chapter 1 folder. Originally the code was going to be placed in one giant file, but after writing it proved easier to split it into chapter based zip files. In the downloads section for Beginning ASP.NEt 2.0, download the chapter 1 folder and this will have the folders you need.

Chris

Chris Ullman
Programmer/Technical Author
http://www.cuasp.co.uk
Old March 26th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Hi,

Sorry i am still quite confused about this. I followed Appendix B and created a a folder websites\wroxunited on the c: drive. i downloaded all the chapters to this folder, c:websites\wroxunited\chapters. after unzipping each chapter i am given the following path C:\websites\wroxunited\Chapters\Chapter01\Begin\ch apter01. I also downloaded chapter 1 as suggested above which gives you the following path C:\Chapter01\Begin\Chapter01. now with regards to the TRY IT OUT on page 15, i am assuming that i create a new folder called c:BegASPNET2\chapters\begin and then call it Chapter01 in VWD as instructed to do so in step 1 on page 15. please help as i am really confused on this (i know the answer is probaly staring at me in the face)

Old July 18th, 2006, 01:27 PM

very confusing...

Old July 22nd, 2006, 02:19 PM

This is the most f**ked setup I've ever seen. Sheesh - if you can't trust the authors of this book to get the damned setup (where the hell is this mythical BegASPNET directory?), how the hell are we s'posed to know the examples will work? What about WroxUnitedCS? Where the hell did that come from...<p>
Old July 22nd, 2006, 04:33 PM

Hey WROX...how about some help here!!!
This books instructions are worst that most instructions I've seen from open-source projects!

Do we start with:
C:\Websites\WroxUnited
C:\Websites\WroxUnitedCS
C:\BegASPNET2

HELP HELP HELP!!!

Old July 24th, 2006, 09:16 AM

I suppose they're on vacation...
Old July 25th, 2006, 04:23 AM
Authorized User

Well I'm sort of on vacation; I'm away from home so don't have access to much of my material, including the printed book and original chapters, but do have the code.

First off I'd like to admit that the download code is confusing and that's entirely my fault. The reason for separate folders for chapters is that I thought it would be sensible to have each chapter standalone, so that they can be worked on individually; you have a starting and ending point for each chapter. In hindsight this may have caused more confusion and I apologise for that. The WroxUnitedCS folder is the fully finished application; I thought this was just called WroxUnited, so I'll check my original source when I get home next week.

When you unpack the code you can put it into any folder you want; we suggest c:\BegASPNET2, but if you prefer to keep it under a different folder then please do. Within that you should have three folders: Begin, End and WroxUnited. Within Begin and End there should be a folder for each chapter and you should be working through the Begin folders - these contain the code that you will modify/create and once you reach the end of the chapter the code should be the same as the code in the End folder for that chapter.

Since I'm away I've asked one of the other authors to mail me the Appendix B and I'll check through it with the downloaded code and get back to you.

Dave

Old July 30th, 2006, 05:57 AM

Still no answer?
This was the first and the last WROX book I buy.

You Amazon.com rating is also starting to take a beating.

Bye for good!!
Old July 31st, 2006, 08:18 AM
Wrox Staff
Points: 17,869, Level: 58 Points: 17,869, Level: 58 Points: 17,869, Level: 58
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Reggie: I don't quite understand. Did Dave's answer ("When you unpack the code you can put it into any folder you want") not address this for you? What specifically is still an issue that you need Dave or one of the other authors to address?

Jim Minatel
Senior Acquisitions Editor
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press
Blog: http://wroxblog.typepad.com/
Jim's Book of the week: No book this week - Donate to the Red Cross!