Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 by Chris Hart, John Kauffman, David Sussman, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764588501
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 10th, 2006, 06:48 PM

Default Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 and VS2005

Hello!

Im new to asp, but have a question if its possible to use VS2005 instead of VWD and sqlserver 2000?

If it is, how do I make use of the finish example site installtion I'm having problems when trying to run it.

I unzipped the zip file under my websites opened it up in vs2005 and tried to run it but got an error saying

System.ArgumentException was unhandled by user code
††Message="An error occurred while attempting to initialize a System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection object. The value that was provided for the connection string may be wrong, or it may contain an invalid syntax.
Parameter name: connectionString"
††ParamName="connectionString"
††Source="System.Web"
††StackTrace:
    †††at System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHolder..ctor(St ring connectionString)
    †††at System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.GetConne ction(String connectionString, Boolean revertImpersonation)
    †††at System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider.GetPropertyV aluesFromDatabase(String userName, SettingsPropertyValueCollection svc)
    †††at System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider.GetPropertyV alues(SettingsContext sc, SettingsPropertyCollection properties)
    †††at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFro mProvider(SettingsProvider provider)
    †††at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValue ByName(String propertyName)
    †††at System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
    †††at System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.GetInternal(String propertyName)
    †††at System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.get_Item(String propertyName)
    †††at System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.GetPropertyValue(St ring propertyName)
    †††at ProfileCommon.get_Theme() in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temp orary ASP.NET Files\wroxunited\1215bf01\56427e30\App_Code.6wkdai kj.6.vb:line 114
    †††at Wrox.Web.GlobalEvents.ThemeModule.app_PreRequestHa ndlerExecute(Object Sender, EventArgs E) in C:\Documents and Settings\AMT4\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\WroxUnited\App_Code\ThemeModule.vb:l ine 30
    †††at System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep. System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute( )
    †††at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionS tep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
Old May 11th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 71,366, Level: 100 Points: 71,366, Level: 100 Points: 71,366, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,541 Posts

Hi there,

Yes, you can. Take a look at this blog to see how to configure SQL Server 2000

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archi...25/423703.aspx

HtH,

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:28 PM

Thank you Imar that sorted out one problem. Now when trying to attach the wroxunited db , I get into new problems. I'm trying to run

EXEC sp_attach_db @dbname = 'WroxUnited',
     @filename1 = 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\db\WroxUnited.mdf',
     @filename2 = 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\db\WroxUnited_Log.LDF'

but ends up with a an error saying:

Server: Msg 602, Level 21, State 50, Line 1
Could not find row in sysindexes for database ID 9, object ID 1, index ID 1. Run DBCC CHECKTABLE on sysindexes.

Connection Broken

And I am not able to solve this no database is getting created. So I can't run and DBCC towards it.

Is it possible to get the sql script to create the tables and data instead? I did a search but could not find any

Thanks again.
Lars

Old May 12th, 2006, 01:04 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 71,366, Level: 100 Points: 71,366, Level: 100 Points: 71,366, Level: 100

Are you trying to attach the 2005 version of the database to an instance of SQL 2000???

That won't work.

You may be able to script out the database and then run the script in SQL 2000, but I am not sire if that will work. When the databases uses new 2005 features (MAX, CTPs etc), you won't be able to transfer those to 2000.

Cheers,

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
Author of ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Beginning Dreamweaver MX / MX 2004
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:14 AM

I have not installed sqlserver 2005, but are facing problems when trying to build the final version that comes with the book zip package.

I vs2005 wroxunited website webconfig I have

<connectionStrings>
     <add name="WroxUnited"
      connectionString="Data Source=LKDESKTOP\SQL2005;Initial Catalog=WroxUnited;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True"
      providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />
    <remove name="LocalSqlServer"/>
    <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data Source=LKDESKTOP\SQL2005;Initial Catalog=aspnetdb;Integrated Security=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
  </connectionStrings>

When building the page I get no errors but when trying to access the site within from vs I get:

Server Error in '/WroxUnited' Application.
The user instance login flag is not supported on this version of SQL Server. The connection will be closed.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: The user instance login flag is not supported on this version of SQL Server. The connection will be closed.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): The user instance login flag is not supported on this version of SQL Server. The connection will be closed.]
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnErro r(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +171
   System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndW arning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +199
   System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +2305
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.Com pleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK) +34
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.Ope nLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +606
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ct or(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +193
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateC onnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection) +218
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.Creat ePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +28
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateOb ject(DbConnection owningObject) +429
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCrea teRequest(DbConnection owningObject) +70
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConne ction(DbConnection owningObject) +512
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetCo nnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +85
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenCo nnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +89
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +160
   System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(Data Set dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +118
   System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +139
   System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String srcTable) +83
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.SqlDataSourceView.Execut eSelect(DataSourceSelectArguments arguments) +1659
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.GetData() +50
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.CreateControlHi erarchy(Boolean useDataSource) +214
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnDataBinding(E ventArgs e) +53
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.DataBind() +62
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.EnsureDataBound () +55
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Repeater.OnPreRender(Eve ntArgs e) +13
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +88
   System.Web.UI.Control.PreRenderRecursiveInternal() +171
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5663

Old May 13th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Wrox Author

Take a look at your connection string:

<add name="WroxUnited"
      connectionString="Data Source=LKDESKTOP\SQL2005;Initial Catalog=WroxUnited;Integrated Security=True;User Instance=True"
      providerName="System.Data.SqlClient" />

If features a number of SQL 2005 only features:

LKDESKTOP\SQL2005
This points to a named instance of SQL 2005, which won't work if you don't have it installed.

User Instance=True
This is a new feature in SQL 2005 only. When connection to a SQL 2000 database, this won't work.

If that doesn't help, I think you need to describe your situation in a bit more detail. E.g. the database you are using, the connection string you're trying to use and so on.

Cheers,

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:46 AM

Hello I am using sql server 2005 made a typo in my previous message, I typed I have "not" whiles I it should have been I have now sorry for that.

So basically I have SQL server 2005 installed
This is what I've done.

1. Installed SQL server 2005
2. ran aspnet_regsql.exe and created the db against LKDESKTOP\SQL2005
(my hostname\instance)
3. Unzipped the wroxunited app to a local folder on my pc
4. Logged on to sql server management studio and attached the Wroxunited .mdf
5. Started VS2005 ->open website->broswed to my folder where I have unzipped all the files.
6. Edited the webconfig file connections strings as I told in my previous mail
7. Tested the asp.net configuration - OK
8. Build the app
9 When the browser opens I get the error that I posted i previous message .

Any hints what could be wrong or what I should try would be most appreciated, maybee I should give up and use the sql express version instead..

Thanks
Lars - Swedish beginner

Old May 13th, 2006, 08:13 AM
Wrox Author

Right, I see. In that case, drop the User Instance=True from the connection string.

As the error message points out, this option is not supported on your version of SQL Server.

You may want to take a look here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...xpuserinst.asp for more info about the user instance and SQL Server Express (on which it is supported only).

Imar
Old May 14th, 2006, 08:37 AM

Exellent Imar, that did the trick. Everythings seems to work now.

Though it's pity that I have to change the connections string in all examples but I can live with that I think.

Thanks again Imar for all the help. I'll now start working on the Bok "beginning ASP.NET 2.0", looking forward to this.

Cheers
Lars

Old May 14th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Wrox Author

Quote:
quote:Though it's pity that I have to change the connections string in all examples but I can live with that I think.
In that case, you're much better off installing SQL Server Express as well. Both installations of SQL Server can live side by side.

Using the Express version will make it much easier to run the example (not only those from the book, but many others as well because quite often it's assumed there is a SQL Server instance called (local)\SqlExpress).

Once you're done developing your site with the Express edition, it's pretty easy to move the database to a "real" version of SQL Server....

Imar
Imar Spaanjaars