Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 by Chris Hart, John Kauffman, David Sussman, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764588501
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old January 17th, 2007, 05:11 AM

Default Wrox United - Database Connection Prob

I have downloaded & installsed the Wrox United website and carefully followed the Instalation instructions in Appendix "B", including the stuff about NETWORK SERVICES (which seems pertinent to database connections ...)

When I try to display the Default.aspx page I get the error: Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path ....(etc etc)

I have fiddled with Security Settings in Site Admin but still can't get it to work.

System is Windows XP Pro / Visual Web Developer Express / SQL Server Express.

All other examples in the VWDE Help work OK, and I can connect to the database in Site Admin. The database shows up OK in Database Explorer.

Any Ideas ?

Thanks.

Martin Rushton
Old February 12th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to DanM

Hello Martin,

Let's hope we can fix this quickly. I'm sorry no one has replied to you sooner.
Just to make sure, if you've downloaded the code for the whole book, can you open the complete WroxUnited website in VWD and run it from there or is that what is failing?

The error would suggest that the site you're trying to run doesn't contain an App_Data folder where it si expects it to be although I'm sure that's not the case.

Dan

Thanks, Dan

Dan Maharry
Read the feed at http://feeds.feedburner.com/dansarchive
Old February 13th, 2007, 01:43 PM

Hello Dan,

Thanks for your reply.

The Wrox United stuff was downloaded as a ZIP file from the WROX website - it's not the ZIP for the complete book, but a separate item.

The files were put into a folder in my webroot - I can open the Site in VWDE (ie as a "site") but when I try to view the Default.aspx page by pressing CTRL F5 I get the error in the Internet Explorer window.

The full complement of files seems to be present including the App_Data folder which contains 2 databases, both of which can be tested for connectivity with a right click on them.

The issue seems to be some sort of security problem maybe with IIS rather than SQL Server Ex - here´s the full text of the displayed error:- (very verbose I'm afraid !)

Server Error in '/WroxUnited' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be closed.
Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be closed.

Source Error:

Line 112: Public Overridable Property Theme() As String
Line 113: Get
Line 114: Return CType(Me.GetPropertyValue("Theme"),String)
Line 115: End Get
Line 116: Set

Source File: C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temp orary ASP.NET Files\wroxunited\eecd65d2\e1a6a798\App_Code.6v92yi-x.6.vb Line: 114

Stack Trace:

[SqlException (0x80131904): Failed to generate a user instance of SQL Server due to failure in retrieving the user's local application data path. Please make sure the user has a local user profile on the computer. The connection will be closed.]
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnection.OnErro r(SqlException exception, Boolean breakConnection) +734995
   System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.ThrowExceptionAndW arning(TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +188
   System.Data.SqlClient.TdsParser.Run(RunBehavior runBehavior, SqlCommand cmdHandler, SqlDataReader dataStream, BulkCopySimpleResultSet bulkCopyHandler, TdsParserStateObject stateObj) +1838
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.Com pleteLogin(Boolean enlistOK) +33
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds.Ope nLoginEnlist(SqlConnection owningObject, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, String newPassword, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +628
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlInternalConnectionTds..ct or(DbConnectionPoolIdentity identity, SqlConnectionString connectionOptions, Object providerInfo, String newPassword, SqlConnection owningObject, Boolean redirectedUserInstance) +170
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnectionFactory.CreateC onnection(DbConnectionOptions options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnection owningConnection) +130
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.Creat ePooledConnection(DbConnection owningConnection, DbConnectionPool pool, DbConnectionOptions options) +28
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.CreateOb ject(DbConnection owningObject) +424
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.UserCrea teRequest(DbConnection owningObject) +66
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionPool.GetConne ction(DbConnection owningObject) +496
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetCo nnection(DbConnection owningConnection) +82
   System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenCo nnection(DbConnection outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
   System.Data.SqlClient.SqlConnection.Open() +111
   System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHolder.Open(Htt pContext context, Boolean revertImpersonate) +84
   System.Web.DataAccess.SqlConnectionHelper.GetConne ction(String connectionString, Boolean revertImpersonation) +197
   System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider.GetPropertyV aluesFromDatabase(String userName, SettingsPropertyValueCollection svc) +766
   System.Web.Profile.SqlProfileProvider.GetPropertyV alues(SettingsContext sc, SettingsPropertyCollection properties) +428
   System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertiesFro mProvider(SettingsProvider provider) +410
   System.Configuration.SettingsBase.GetPropertyValue ByName(String propertyName) +117
   System.Configuration.SettingsBase.get_Item(String propertyName) +89
   System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.GetInternal(String propertyName) +36
   System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.get_Item(String propertyName) +68
   System.Web.Profile.ProfileBase.GetPropertyValue(St ring propertyName) +4
   ProfileCommon.get_Theme() in C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Temp orary ASP.NET Files\wroxunited\eecd65d2\e1a6a798\App_Code.6v92yi-x.6.vb:114
   Wrox.Web.GlobalEvents.ThemeModule.app_PreRequestHa ndlerExecute(Object Sender, EventArgs E) in C:\WEBSITE\WroxUnited\App_Code\ThemeModule.vb:30
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpA pplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +92
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionS tep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +64

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.210

Martin Rushton
Old May 3rd, 2007, 05:08 PM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to DanM

Hi Martin,

I don't know how much further you got with this, but I've actually written a new version of Appendix B and the WroxUnited site code for you to use. I hope it will help. Download it form http://www.hmobius.com/downloads.aspx.

Thanks, dan

Dan Maharry
Read the feed at http://feeds.feedburner.com/dansarchive
Old January 17th, 2011, 04:06 AM

Default database initialisation issues Wrox United

Hi. I had the same problems. I uninstalled SQL server and reinstalled and seemed to work with no problems after that.
Old December 26th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Ohk Shaguf. If you can, please let me know who can attend this conference and when is it going to take place next. I would love to attend this conference.