Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 by Chris Hart, John Kauffman, David Sussman, Chris Ullman; ISBN: 9780764588501
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 2.0 BOOK VB ISBN: 978-0-7645-8850-1; C# ISBN: 978-0-470-04258-8 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old April 28th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Authorized User

Default Chapter 7 page 212

In the try out section I completly do not understand what it is asking me to do and even when I try to run the chapter 7 in the end folder it has the same error that I get...

2. Open the web site for the chapger(C:\BegASPNET2\WroxUnitedCS)

Numer one there is no such folder called WroxUnitedCS I and have complained about this error and still have heard nothing.  Plus do I open the chpater 7 folder in begin or the full site?

and create a Web Form called Fixtures.aspx in tghe sites root using the web form template with the site.master page

there is no site.master page present.  So I right click, added new item, choose web form and named it and made sure none of the check boxesn where selected, the click add

and with code in a separate page

What page?  What code?.  

Switch to design view and type fixtures in the content panel.

no site map then no content panel
Old April 30th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Friend of Wrox

Send a message via MSN to DanM

Hi tgregory,

Looks like this got messed up somewhere between me and the printer. Here's the proof text I have of this example. As far as I can see it works with the download for Chapter 7 but you'll need to copy site.master from the full site directory to C:\BegASPNET2\Chapters\Begin\Chapter07 as it appears to be missing in the download.

Dan

1. Open the web site for the chapter (C:\BegASPNET2\Chapters\Begin\Chapter07) and create a Web Form called Fixtures.aspx in the site’s root using the web form template with the site master page and with code in a separate page. Switch to Design View and type Fixtures in the content panel.
2. From the Data section of the toolbar (see Figure 7-5), drag a SqlDataSource control to the middle of the content pane. You may have to scroll down to see the new control
3. Click the small arrow at the top right of the control to open the smart task panel (if it isn't already open as shown in Figure 7-6) and click Configure Data Source. A wizard will start and in the first dialog click New Connection.
4. Set the data source to Data Source for a Microsoft SQL Server Database file and click Continue. For the Database File Name, browse to your App_Data folder and select WroxUnited.mdf. Stick with the default Windows Authentication. Click the Test Connection button to be sure the file was spelled correctly and all is in working then press OK.
5. Click Next and, for this example, do not save the connection in the application file. (A connection string to this db file is already saved in web.config)
6. Click Next and in the next dialog box accept the choice to specify columns from a table. From the drop-down list select the Fixtures table. Then select all of its fields by checking the asterisk (*) choice in the columns panel. See Figure 7-7 for an example.
7. Click Next and in the last step of the wizard you will have an opportunity to test your query. You should see several records and fields appear in the panel as in Figure 7-8. Click Finish.
8. Run the page and observe that although you have created a data source control there is no rendering. That will come when you add a data-bound control.
9. Close the browser and click Source View in VWD. Take a look at what VWD built for you in the SqlDataSource control. The Fixtures.aspx page will appear as follows in Source View. Instead of (local)\SQLExpress your server may be identified with a period (full stop) as .\SQLExpress:

<%@ Page Language="C#" MasterPageFile="~/site.master" AutoEventWireup="false" CodeFile="Fixture.aspx.cs" Inherits="Fixture" title="Untitled Page" %>

<asp:Content ID="Content1" ContentPlaceHolderID="mainContent" Runat="Server">

<asp:SqlDataSource ID="SqlDataSource1" runat="server"

ConnectionString="Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS; AttachDbFilename=C:\BegASPNET2\Chapters\Begin\Chap ter07\app_Data\WroxUnited.mdf; Integrated Security=True;
User Instance=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"
SelectCommand="SELECT * FROM [Fixtures]">

</asp:SqlDataSource>

</asp:Content>

Dan Maharry
Read the feed at http://feeds.feedburner.com/dansarchive
Old May 2nd, 2007, 10:31 AM
Authorized User

Now its asking for web.sitemap. So did they just totally screw up the download? This does not make sence. You sell a book and you dont give all the information to finish it. Poorly tested.

Anyway...

I guess I should take the file from the full site directory. Right?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:37 PM
Wrox Staff
Points: 18,650, Level: 59 Points: 18,650, Level: 59 Points: 18,650, Level: 59
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

tgregory: I'm emailing you the web.sitemap file. Dan's provided it as another customer just asked the same thing. We'll get it posted to the site too.

Jim Minatel
Senior Acquisitions Editor
Wiley Technology Publishing
WROX Press
Blog: http://wroxblog.typepad.com/
Jim's Book of the week: No book this week - Donate to the Red Cross!
Old May 3rd, 2007, 02:44 PM
Authorized User

I will try it as the insturctions say and see if all the erros now clear up. Thanks again.