Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:26 PM
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Chapter 5: Programming

Wow, so much to cover and so little space, and 2 languages! Overall a pretty good overview I reckon. I do have some feedback on the chapter (pretty minor stuff though, I know there is a limit to what can be covered):

1. A small section on operator precedence might have been useful for the uninitiated, e.g. 2 + 5 * 10 is not the same as (2 + 5) * 10.

2. The logical operators table could have referenced the C# & and | operators (these force both sides to be evaluated) as matching the VB.NET And and Or operators. This is a minor issue given the book is for beginners but it would make the table consistent with both language capabilities.

3. A small discussion of reference type objects as parameters (which copy the reference to the object) versus the discussion which covered value type (int, bool, etc) parameters which copy the contents of the parameter.

4. More of a question this one, on page 188 the default access modifier for a class is specified as private, I thought that the default for a class was internal and the default for class members was private?

From what I have seen so far this is a well structured book and I am finding it an excellent introduction to ASP.NET 3.5.

Cheers,

Baz.

You can teach an old dog new tricks, sometimes.
Old May 3rd, 2008, 02:35 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 71,804, Level: 100 Points: 71,804, Level: 100 Points: 71,804, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,558 Posts

Hi Baz,

With regards to nr 1 through 3: great suggestions; I'll add them to my list.

Re: nr 4: you are absolutely right. internal (Friend for the VB people) is the default for a class, not private. In fact, there wouldn't be much point in having a private class in a namespace directly as you couldn't instantiate or use it (unless it was a nested class).
I'll add this to the errata section.

I am glad you are enjoying the book....

Cheers,

Imar
---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.
Old June 28th, 2008, 05:24 AM
Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1 Points: 30, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

I have just seen the errata entry for default access modifier for a class, corrected from 'private' to 'internal' (pg 188):
"The default is internal (Friend in VB.NET) which hides the class by default."

This is still not absolutely correct, it does hide the class to external assemblies, but does not hide it to any other code within the same assembly. So the access modifier has been corrected, but how it hides the class has not been updated in line with the behaviour of 'internal'. I hope I am not being too pedantic here.

Cheers,

Baz.
Old June 30th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Wrox Author
Points: 71,804, Level: 100 Points: 71,804, Level: 100 Points: 71,804, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,558 Posts

Not, you're not too pedantic; you're absolutely right.

I'll have it fixed....

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
http://Imar.Spaanjaars.Com
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Author of Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB, ASP.NET 2.0 Instant Results and Dreamweaver MX 2004
Want to be my colleague? Then check out this post.