Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning ASP.NET 3.5: In C# and VB by Imar Spaanjaars; ISBN: 9780470187593
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning ASP.NET 3.5 : in C# and VB BOOK ISBN: 978-0-470-18759-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old October 1st, 2009, 02:43 PM
Authorized User

Default <deployment retail="true"> clarification

Imar,

In chapter 18 on page 662 you mention to consider setting the retail attribute of the deployment element within the machine.config to true as follows:

Code:
<deployment retail="true">
Feel free to correct me If I'm wrong, but won't the attributes set within the web.config for compilation, customErrors, and trace override what's in the machine.config? Or in order to do so would you need to utilize a <clear /> element as such in the example at the bottom of page 660 for the compilation, customErrors, and trace elements within the web.config to override the settings in the machine.config?

Not that it would happen on a production box, but what if you had a legitimate need to override the settings in the machine.config within the web.config for say just one out of ten websites hosted on a server.

I'm hoping you could clarify this for me.

Thanks,

John
Old October 1st, 2009, 02:48 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 67,332, Level: 100 Points: 67,332, Level: 100 Points: 67,332, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,398 Posts

Hi John,

Many settings from machine.config can be overriden by a web.config at the site level. However, the retail attribute is set up not to allow that. if you try it, you get the following error:

It is an error to use a section registered as allowDefinition='MachineOnly' beyond machine.config.

The retail attributes overwrite whatever you set for the other attributes and you can't change that. So, with retail set to true, it will change all these settings for all sites. If you need to change it for a single site, you need to set it to false first....

Cheers,

Imar

Author of Beginning ASP.NET 4.5 : in C# and VB, Beginning ASP.NET Web Pages with WebMatrix
and Beginning ASP.NET 4 : in C# and VB.
Did this post help you? Click the button below this post to show your appreciation!
The Following User Says Thank You to Imar For This Useful Post:
jsymons (October 2nd, 2009)