Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning C# 3.0 : An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-26129-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning C# 3.0 : An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming by Jack Purdum; ISBN: 9780470261293
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning C# 3.0 : An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-26129-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old May 6th, 2009, 12:46 PM

Question TryParse() Method

Hi! First off, your book is really great. Its definitely helping me learn and its not boring me. Thank you for authoring this book.

Ok, so I'm referring to Chapter5: Understanding Reference Data Types and I got confused with the first topic with String Variables. You said that data entered in the textbox is textual data. Does this mean that I ALWAYS have to use the TryParse method so that I can use this textual data (which is in fact a numerical data), into mathematical manipulation? Does this mean that I can't skip the input verification process ("flag = int....")?

In other words, is there no way that I can straight away assign the inputed data to a variable aside from the TryParse method?

I'm confused as I am new to programming. Please help.
Old May 7th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 1,104, Level: 13 Points: 1,104, Level: 13 Points: 1,104, Level: 13
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Using TryParse()

You are correct in that all data entered into a textbox is string data. As such, it cannot be manipulated directly as numeric data. You must use a conversion method to change the data in the textbox to a numeric.

There are alternatives. For example, you could use int.Parse() to perform the conversion of the text data to an integer. That the good news. The bad news is when the user enters non-numeric data, the code could throw an exception and crash your program. (Exceptions are covered in Chatper 11.) The TryParse() method, however, prevents most exceptions and is safer than the simple Parse() method. (That's why I introduced it in Chapter 6, because I didn't want to get into exception handling until later.)

I hope this answers your question.
The Following User Says Thank You to DrPurdum For This Useful Post:
afterzero (May 10th, 2009)
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:15 AM

Thumbs up Thank you

Question was answered clearly. Thank you very much. I am just too excited to learn and can't wait for the following chapters. But yeah, it answered my question clearly.

Thanks a lot!