Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning C# 3.0 : An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-26129-3
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning C# 3.0 : An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming by Jack Purdum; ISBN: 9780470261293
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning C# 3.0 : An Introduction to Object Oriented Programming ISBN: 978-0-470-26129-3 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old June 8th, 2011, 07:39 AM

Default Creating a new groupbox through a class

Hi Guys

I need some help urgently. . . . I have my main form :Frmtest, now i went and added a class. What i want to do with that class is to add a groupbox on my form when i click on a button.

The problem that i have is that I cannot add the control in the class?

Can anyone help me?

Thanks
Old June 8th, 2011, 02:18 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 1,104, Level: 13 Points: 1,104, Level: 13 Points: 1,104, Level: 13
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Add a groupbox from a class

As a general rule, I don't write classes that do any graphical or user interface (UI) work. The reason is because that limits the usefulness of the class because you've now hard-wired the name of some interface object to the code.

As a work-around, ask yourself if you really need the class to add a groupbox to a form. Chances are, you don't. For example, could you write a method in the class that toggles the groupbox's Visibility property from False to True? This means, of course, that the groupbox is always on the form...only its visibility changes. You could pass the Groupbox ID into the class and have the method set it there. This makes the class more flexible since you don't have to hard-code the name of the Groupbox into the class.

It's pretty hard for me to think of a good example where I need a class to do some kind of direct interface work. As a general rule, I try to keep all UI stuff outside of my classes, leaving the UI code as part of the form itself.
Old June 8th, 2011, 02:54 PM

Yes I understand but what i want to do is to create a groupbox with controls on and when a user selects a option the class generates a groupbox with the details on for that option.
Old June 8th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 1,104, Level: 13 Points: 1,104, Level: 13 Points: 1,104, Level: 13
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Groupbox

I still don't see why you can't have several invisible groupboxes on the form and make the one they select visible from within the class.