Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > C# and C > C# 6 > BOOK: Beginning C# 6.0 Programming with Visual Studio 2015
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning C# 6.0 Programming with Visual Studio 2015
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning C# 6.0 Programming with Visual Studio 2015 by Benjamin Perkins, Jacob Vibe Hammer, Jon D. Reid; ISBN: 978-1-119-09668-9
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning C# 6.0 Programming with Visual Studio 2015 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old December 1st, 2016, 08:45 PM
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Lightbulb Chapter 08 Try it out Ch08Ex01

Hello Everyone,
I am very very new in programming even I don't have any basic of any programming language. I started learning C# from this book and found this book very resourceful and discussed in deep which helps very much. I have an understanding problem on chapter 08 try it out 01.

As per author
Code:
 ((Button)sender).Content = "Clicked!";
makes use of polymorphism but I am not understanding how this thing uses polymorphism?

My Second understanding problem with
Code:
((Grid)((Button)sender).Parent).Children.Add(newButton);
I didn't understand this code at all.

Can anyone help me to understand these?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by maninblack; December 1st, 2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old January 29th, 2017, 03:46 AM
Friend of Wrox
Points: 528, Level: 8 Points: 528, Level: 8 Points: 528, Level: 8
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

in order to understand how this block of code:
Code:
is using polymorphism, you must understand what it mean. polymorphism means in general terms "many forms". meaning its values can be applied to many type.

A popular example is a car

1) a ford can be car
2) a Chevy can be a car
3) and so on....

the point is that the commonality between the examples is a the noun "car"

lets assume that we have 2 distinct types of cars 1 ford and 1 Chevy but they have similar behaviors (in this example) drive and park. well if we extract those behaviors (drive and park) to a what is known as base class or interface the we can derive "many" types of cars that have the same behavior of drive and park such Toyota and Honda without duplicating code or each.

the block of code
Code:
does not offer much in identifying "polymorphism" per say without the developer knowing that the "sender" object is of a "Button" "type". the block
Code:
(Button)
casts (turns it in) the "sender" into/"masks" so that the sender appears to be a "Button" object and then references its "content" property. this is a core principle of OOP. I would suggest reading up on it.