Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK Beginning CSS: Cascading Style Sheets for Web Design, 2nd Ed; ISBN: 978-0-470-09697-0
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning CSS: Cascading Style Sheets for Web Design, 2nd Edition by Richard York; ISBN: 9780470096970
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK Beginning CSS: Cascading Style Sheets for Web Design, 2nd Ed; ISBN: 978-0-470-09697-0 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old July 5th, 2007, 12:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to JakobH
Default Submitting errors within this book

While studying this excellent book I do find some errors and I keep submitting them through the wrox errata form. I'm on page 216 and submitted 5 errors so far within the past 7 days.

While checking back I don't see those errors listed within this book's errata section. I'm wondering if it takes so long to post it or if I am doing something wrong.

Anyhow, thanks for this excellent book Richard.

http://www.penpalworld.com - Where People Become Friends
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 5,506, Level: 31 Points: 5,506, Level: 31 Points: 5,506, Level: 31
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Thanks for helping us to make this book better. I appreciate you taking the time to tell us about the errors that you find.

When errata is submitted, at some point it gets forwarded to me for verification. Then I verify it and add whatever comments I have , and send it back to Wiley. Then at some point it gets posted on that errata page.

I say "at some point" because this all depends on when the editors at Wiley can get to it.

Although it's not an immediate process, I promise you it will be posted in a timely manner (usually a day or two).

Regards,
Rich

--
Author,
Beginning CSS: Cascading Style Sheets For Web Design, 2nd Edition
CSS Instant Results

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Old July 5th, 2007, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the clarifications.

Old July 6th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 5,506, Level: 31 Points: 5,506, Level: 31 Points: 5,506, Level: 31
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Hi Jakob,

I was forwarded three items to review for errata, following were my responses. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

> 1) Page 57, figure 2-6 is missing.

The text refers to Figure 2-6 because the output from the browser for that example is identical to the screenshot already presented earlier in the chapter in Figure 2-6 (page 29). A figure is not present there because we didn't want to include a redundant image (to save space).

> 2) Page 112, last paragraph:
> It seems that the following sentence is wrong:
>
> "Count the number of ID ATTRIBUTES in the selector; the sum is variable b"
>
> should be:
>
> "Count the number of ID NAMES in the selector; the sum is variable b"

Technically yes, it should say names, though I think people will understand what "ID ATTRIBUTES" means in the context of that discussion.

> 3) Page 116, example 4-1:
>
> Example talks about a style attribute but the example does not contain any style attribute.

The paragraph on page 116 that talks about the "style" attribute is not associated with the Try It Out example that follows on that page, or the example that precedes it. I don't see a reference to either example in that paragraph. It appears to be an informative bit that's saying, and by the way the "style" attribute has the most specificity. That paragraph should probably be in the "note" or "box" style, to set it apart from the surrounding text.

Regards,
Rich

--
Author,
Beginning CSS: Cascading Style Sheets For Web Design, 2nd Edition
CSS Instant Results

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
Old July 13th, 2007, 01:01 PM

Thank you, Richard. I appreciate that you took the time clarifying everything. I'm on my last chapter and this book really helped me greatly learning the language.