Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning DotNetNuke Skinning and Design ISBN 978-0-470-10963-2
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning DotNetNuke Skinning and Design by Andrew Hay, Shaun Walker; ISBN: 9780470109632
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning DotNetNuke Skinning and Design ISBN 978-0-470-10963-2 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developers’ questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old November 17th, 2007, 07:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to Concepts
Default Skin and House Menu problems

I have a view problems, and I was hoping you could help.

The Autumn skin Blog.ascx skin file.
If I use this skin file, the menu doesn’t render correct.
The menu starts in the middle of the screen and when the mouse hovers over one of the links, it snaps in to place. Then when I hover over the “Sharing Ideas” then the subordinates are displayed at the position where the Right Pane starts. This problem happens in IE 6 & IE7 haven’t tested other browsers.

Houseofnuke:

I found the “HouseMenuSkinObjectPA_01.02.01.zip “ file at there website.
I installed the Module using the install additional modules from the control panel.
The Skin object is found in the module definitions under the [Skin Objects]. All the files are in place as described in the book. When using the code on page 181 it goes wrong.

This part goes good:
Code:
<%@ Register TagPrefix="uc1" TagName="HouseMenu" Src="~/DesktopModules/HouseMenuSkinObject/HouseMenuSkinObject.ascx" %>
This doesn’t work:
Code:
<uc1:HouseMenu runat="server" id="HouseMenu1" 
Scope="-1" ShowAdmin="True" IsRecursive="True" />
The Scope, ShowAdmin and IsRecursive are not valid attributes of the Element ‘HouseMenu’.

The result is a complete centred list of all Items in all the menus.

Anny ideas?
I tried several installations, even with earlier and later versions.

With Regards,
Concepts
Old November 18th, 2007, 12:33 PM
Wrox Author

Hello,

Regarding the house of nuke issue:

Today, I downloaded the HouseMenu Professional v1.2.1 from this url:
http://houseofnuke.com/Downloads/tabid/406/Default.aspx

Inside that zip file, you'll find the version of the HouseMenu skin object that I used in the book. Then I installed the skin object (HouseMenuSkinObjectPA_01.02.01.zip) on my local DotNetNuke site.

So, it looks like the appropriate files are still available from House of Nuke and it sounds like you've made it that far along.

Next, I added the register directive at the top of a skin and then added an instance of the web user control (skin object) to my DotNetNuke skin file. The only tools I used here are Notepad and my browser.

<%@ Register TagPrefix="uc1" TagName="HouseMenu" Src="~/DesktopModules/HouseMenuSKinObject/HouseMenuSkinObject.ascx" %>

<uc1:HouseMenu id="HouseMenu1" runat="server" Scope="-1" ShowAdmin="True" IsRecursive="True" />

If you're getting an error about invalid attributes, then I'm guessing either the version of the skin object is the problem, or the installation didn't work well for you.

You can check your \bin folder for a file named "TimRolands.DNN.SkinObjects.HouseMenuSkinObject.dl l". That's what the HouseMenu is using to generate the menu. Depending on your .Net programming skills, you can open that file using Lutz Roeder's tool called Reflector and visually check the properties of the HouseMenu skin object. Based on your error, I'm guessing you'll see that your .dll file doesn't have these properties; but I'm just guessing here.

Regards,

Andrew

Old November 20th, 2007, 07:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to Concepts

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunally I still cant get it to work.

I used the tool Lutz Roeder’s .NET Reflector as u suggested and indeed if I look in the assembly I see all the attributes.
Great tool btw.

Code:
Namespace TimRolands.DNN.SkinObjects.HouseMenuSkinObject
Public MustInherit Class HouseMenuSkinObject
    Inherits SkinObjectBase

Declaring Type:    TimRolands.DNN.SkinObjects.HouseMenuSkinObject.HouseMenuSkinObject
Assembly:    TimRolands.DNN.SkinObjects.HouseMenuSkinObject, Version=1.0.0.17185

Name:    TimRolands.DNN.SkinObjects.HouseMenuSkinObject.HouseMenuSkinObject
Assembly:    TimRolands.DNN.SkinObjects.HouseMenuSkinObject, Version=1.0.0.17185
Private _scope As Integer

I even took it a step further.

I was using the latest version off DNN 4.7.0 and made an clean install with the oldest version I could find, 4.5.5. Now using both.

Aside from the guidelines in your book: (witch I did over and over again)

I took a Gray skin html file form de default install, along with the css and xml files.
Made a new folder and pasted them
I replaced the [NAV] token for a [HOUSEMENU] token in the *.htm ( readme file house menu) file,
Added the referral to token in the xml (including the attributes.)
Made a new zip for skin upload.

Installed the housemenu version as we discussed above. (good clean install according to dnn)
Did a restart application..
In Visual Studio ensured the files where in place.
Installed the new skin with the [HOUSEMENU] token.
Install log finds the token and ads it nicely to the new ascx file. (no errors)

Overview:
Code:
Install Skin:: TESTSKIN
Info:: 
Info:: Begin processing zip file : TESTSKIN 
Info:: Creating directory: C:\projects\DotNetNuke Website18\Portals\_default\Skins\TESTSKIN 
Info:: Writing file: skin.xml 
Info:: Writing file: Horizontal Menu - Fixed Width.htm 
Info:: Writing file: skin.css 
Info:: End processing zip file : TESTSKIN.zip 
…..
Info:: Loading skin object for token HOSTNAME: Admin/Skins/HostName.ascx 
Info:: Loading skin object for token HOUSEMENU: DesktopModules/HouseMenuSkinObject/HouseMenuSkinObject.ascx 
……
Info:: Processing token: [HOUSEMENU] 
Info:: Token is skin object: DesktopModules/HouseMenuSkinObject/HouseMenuSkinObject.ascx 
Info:: Token found in attributes file: [HOUSEMENU] 
Info:: Formatting token attribute: Scope="-1" 
Info:: Formatting token attribute: ShowAdmin="True" 
Info:: Formatting token attribute: IsRecursive="True" 
Info:: Formatting token attribute: Orientation="H" 
Info:: Formatting token attribute: Mode="D" 
Info:: Formatting token attribute: StyleName="Gray" 
Info:: Formatting control statement: <dnn:HOUSEMENU runat="server" id="dnnHOUSEMENU" Scope="-1" ShowAdmin="True" IsRecursive="True" Orientation="H" Mode="D" StyleName="Gray" /> 
Info:: Processing token: [SEARCH] 
…..
Info:: Formatting registration directive: <%@ Register TagPrefix="dnn" TagName="HOUSEMENU" Src="~/DesktopModules/HouseMenuSkinObject/HouseMenuSkinObject.ascx" %> 
Info:: Writing file: Horizontal Menu - Fixed Width.ascx 
Info:: End processing file : Horizontal Menu - Fixed Width.htm 
Info:: Begin processing file : skin.css 
Info:: Writing file: skin.css 
Info:: End processing file : skin.css 
Info:: End processing skin/container files : Skins :: TESTSKIN 
Server Name: WORKSTATION

Code:
Tab updated:

TabID: 54
PortalID: 0
TabName: housemenu
Title: 
Description: 
KeyWords: 
Url: 
ParentId: -1
IconFile: 
IsVisible: True
SkinSrc: [G]Skins/TESTSKIN/Horizontal Menu - Fixed Width.ascx
ContainerSrc: 
Server Name: WORKSTATION

A copy code from dnn install from the ascx file:
Code:
<%@ Register TagPrefix="dnn" TagName="HOUSEMENU" Src="~/DesktopModules/HouseMenuSkinObject/HouseMenuSkinObject.ascx" %>

<dnn:HOUSEMENU runat="server" ID="dnnHOUSEMENU" Scope="-1" ShowAdmin="True" IsRecursive="True" Orientation="H" Mode="D" StyleName="Gray" />
I still get the same error.
 * = / Scope / ShowAdmin / IsRecursive / Orientation / Mode / StyleName /
Validation (ASP.Net): Attribute ‘*’ Is not a valid attribute of element ‘HOUSEMENU’.

I did well over 20  clean installs on 3 computers.
With both versions even did a reinstall of ASP and Visual studio.
OS: Windows XP Pro (IIS v5.1) and Windows Server 2003 webedition (IIS v6.0)

I find this mind boggling because I absolutely believe that this should work as even dnn installs the attributes correct according to the logs.

With Regards,
Concepts
Old November 21st, 2007, 08:25 AM

"The menu starts in the middle of the screen and when the mouse hovers over one of the links, it snaps in to place. Then when I hover over the “Sharing Ideas” then the subordinates are displayed at the position where the Right Pane starts. This problem happens in IE 6 & IE7 haven’t tested other browsers."

I also have this same issue with the autumn menu. However, I'd rather use a[list] type menu so not too worried abuot this anyway.

However, using the HouseMenu: In IE7, the subordinates don't drop down - i.e. the drop-down feature doesn't work at all. I've looked on Google for this and found a few people (including its creator) reporting that HouseOfNuke Menu doesn't support IE7.

Regarding the HouseMenu creating a centred vertical list - I found that the styles for the menu were referring to a div called ... *(can't remeber now and not at computer with DNN installed), whereas the <div> wrapped around the menu in the skin file actually had a class of class="theMenu" or similar. Once I changed the skin to have the same div as targeted by the stylesheet the menu rendered correctly, other than the drop-downs not working in IE7

So I wondered if anyone knows of any other good menu objects which will render a nice '[list]<li>' style of menu? I had a look at the Telerik one suggested in the book but don't really want to shell out that kind of money on what is at the moment just a small side project - anything free would be great!

Thanks a lot

Gavin
Old December 18th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

This appears to work fine with version 1.04.01.beta of the HouseMenu skin object.

Jeff