Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning DotNetNuke Skinning and Design ISBN 978-0-470-10963-2
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning DotNetNuke Skinning and Design by Andrew Hay, Shaun Walker; ISBN: 9780470109632
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning DotNetNuke Skinning and Design ISBN 978-0-470-10963-2 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old November 11th, 2008, 03:30 PM

Default Installation issues on IIS / SQL Server 2005

I've been searching all over for an answer for this one, and I've tried everything I can think of. Can anyone give me a reason why this installation is not working? I've created an IIS/Win2K3/SQL Server 2005 install of DNN4.9.0. Everything seems fine up until I try to run the subsite http://localhost/MyDNN where I get the following error:

Security Exception
Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file.

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.

Source Error:
An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SecurityException: Request for the permission of type 'System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission, mscorlib, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089' failed.]
   System.Security.CodeAccessSecurityEngine.Check(Obj ect demand, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean isPermSet) +0
   System.Security.CodeAccessPermission.Demand() +59
   System.AppDomainSetup.VerifyDir(String dir, Boolean normalize) +110
   System.AppDomain.get_BaseDirectory() +61
   DotNetNuke.Common.Initialize.InitializeApp(HttpApp lication app) +216
   DotNetNuke.Common.Initialize.Init(HttpApplication app) +125
   DotNetNuke.Common.Global.Global_BeginRequest(Objec t sender, EventArgs e) +50
   System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpA pplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +92
   System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionS tep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +64

NETWORK SERVICE has all rights to the DNN Virtual Directory, as does the domain admin. Tried logging in with the local server admin login... same result.

I tried altering the trust level in system.web to "Full". This had no effect. I also read somewhere that .NET 2.0 has a problem with subdirectories so I tried installing the Virtual Directory off the root of the hard drive, off the root of the "wwwroot" website and in c:\projects\MyDNN, all with the same result. This book seems to be ambivalent about whether the root web.config is used or the one under DNN virtual directory. As a matter of fact, I do not see any reference by the author of renaming the release.config or development.config files to web.config as mentioned in the DNN documentation. In any case I tried putting connection strings in both, to no avail.

If no one has a clue what is wrong (as evidenced by the lack of answers to others with similar problems), I would appreciate a clear tested script with a working DNN4.9.0 install using SQL2005 and IIS over Win2K3. I tried following this book and also the documentation that comes with DNN ... both don't seem to work.

Whatever help I can get here will be greatly appreciated. DNN Rocks ... if only I can get it to work for ME!

thanks everyone

Old December 16th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Wrox Author

Send a message via MSN to msellers Send a message via Skype™ to msellers

From the looks of it ASP.NET is not given the proper trust level at the server level, potentially not following the setting you have made inside the web.config file.

I would re-validate the trust level that is defaulted on the server. You might also try just setting up a simple test asp.net page in another virtual directory to see if it has any permissions issues.
IowaComputerGurus Inc.

My blog for .NET and DotNetNuke info

Author of "Professional DotNetNuke Module Programming"

Tech Editor on "Visual Studio 2010 six-in-one" and "Pro C# 4.0"
Old December 16th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Wrox Author

Yeah, that would be my advice too. Get a simple one page ASP.Net page working, maybe even write a simple database query to prove ASP.Net and SQL are talking to each other just fine. DNN errors are usually nicely formatted messages like "Problem upgrading DNN", and not the full stacktrace, so I suspect your problems are more fundamental as msellers suggests.

Regards,

Andrew