Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning Dreamweaver MX/MX 2004 MX ISBN: 978-0-7645-4404-0; MX 2004 ISBN: 978-0-7645-5524-4
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Dreamweaver MX by Charles E. Brown, Imar Spaanjaars, Todd Marks; ISBN: 9780764544040
Please indicate which version of the book you are using when posting questions.
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Dreamweaver MX/MX 2004 MX ISBN: 978-0-7645-4404-0; MX 2004 ISBN: 978-0-7645-5524-4 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old September 25th, 2003, 09:12 AM
Authorized User

Default template weirdness

Hi Imar

Firstly, I'd like to say I am thoroughly enjoying your excellent book. I started learning ASP earlier this year, but your book is a great fusion of Dreamweaver's less obvious treasures, ASP and Javascript - and it's very well written. Also, I love the theme of the football site, despite the fact you have included Arsenal in your selection and no Man Utd ;)

My query isn't strictly to do with your book, but concerns strange behaviour I've encountered with the template in this football project. At two different stages I've found errors on my pages [like the default logo not showing up]. I've thoroughly checked the library item and the template itself and no errors. As a last resort, I have applied a different template to a page, saved it, then applied the correct one back to it, saved it, and the problem is fixed! Have you ever come across this before, or is it a weird glitch confined to my pc?!

Thanks for any enlightenment
Anne
:)

Old September 25th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Wrox Author
Points: 65,660, Level: 100 Points: 65,660, Level: 100 Points: 65,660, Level: 100
Activity: 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%

Thanked 1,349 Times in 1,329 Posts

Hi Anne,

Thanks for your kind words. It's always nice to hear positive feedback about our book, although "constructive criticism" is of course welcome as well).

You're right about some issues with Templates and Library Items in Dreamweaver. It's really a powerful and cool feature, but it has a few quirks. Especially the combination of a nested Library Item that has a dynamic href attribute for an image confuses Dreamweaver a bit.

Here's when the problem usually occurs:

1. You make a change to the Library Item and save it.
2. You choose to change all pages that depend on the Library Item (including the template)

When you make a change to the Library Item, Dreamweaver is not able to correctly recalculate the path to the logo, because of the <%= %> construction. This means it ends up messed up in the template. Because of the template change, this error is propagated to each page that is based on the template. Basically what happens is that all images try to reference ../images as the path for the logo. That's fine for pages in sub folders like Admin, but breaks the images in the root of your site.

Fortunately, the fix is easy.

1. Choose Modify | Templates | Update Pages...
2. Make sure that Entire Site is selected and then click OK

The Dreamweaver engine responsible for the updates of links in your site (including the href attribute for the logo) *is* capable of correctly recalculating the path to the image.

Make sure you do a Put (right click the site in the Files panel and choose Put) to upload the changed pages to your testing / remote server.

In all cases I have encountered, this did the trick.

Sorry I couldn't respond earlier. I had to have my ass get kicked on the squash court.... Oh, and sorry about Manchester United. Being a Dutchie I had to put in Ajax and Feyenoord of course. Arsenal was on special request.

If you have any further questions, feel free to post them here.

Cheers and have fun,

Imar

---------------------------------------
Imar Spaanjaars
Everyone is unique, except for me.
Old September 26th, 2003, 03:24 AM
Authorized User

Many thanks, Imar! I will try your solution next time the situation arises. And please no apologies necessary for not replying sooner - I think you are allowed to have a life as well, you know!

As to footie, of course it's totally fine to include Feyenoord and Ajax - but since you said 'constructive criticism' was welcome, I should mention that Manchester United are the proud employers of the fantastic Ruud van Nistelrooy. And the unpleasant players of Arsenal are currently being reprimanded for abusing him on the pitch. (If the FA don't sort them out, I will!) ;)

Happy squashing

tot ziens
Anne