Wrox Programmer Forums

Need to download code?

View our list of code downloads.

Go Back   Wrox Programmer Forums > Visual Basic > VB 2010 > BOOK: Beginning Microsoft Visual Basic 2010
Password Reminder
Register
Register | FAQ | Members List | Calendar | Search | Today's Posts | Mark Forums Read
BOOK: Beginning Microsoft Visual Basic 2010
This is the forum to discuss the Wrox book Beginning Visual Basic 2010 by Thearon Willis, Bryan Newsome; ISBN: 9780470502228
Welcome to the p2p.wrox.com Forums.

You are currently viewing the BOOK: Beginning Microsoft Visual Basic 2010 section of the Wrox Programmer to Programmer discussions. This is a community of tens of thousands of software programmers and website developers including Wrox book authors and readers. As a guest, you can read any forum posting. By joining today you can post your own programming questions, respond to other developersí questions, and eliminate the ads that are displayed to guests. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free .
DRM-free e-books 300x50

Old December 13th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1 Points: 25, Level: 1
Activity: 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%

Default Is vb.net becoming obsolete or it's just a gossip?

It may sounds funny to you guys. Please give advice.
I am studying IT and i had started to code vb referring to Visual Basic 2010 book by Thearon Willis, Bryan Newsome from some days ago and i wanted to become a vb.net programmer.
But today, i heard that VB is becoming obsolete told by someone. Actually, i was hurt by that information, but this info. may not be true.

So, should i stop coding in VB, because since it is becoming obsolete, then why to learn it?
So guys please give me advice on the VB.net future? How to get started learning code? Should i continue to practice the same book VB 2010 or new version of vb book? Or VB 2010 itself is good book to start with?
Please please please give good advice, 'cause it's about my career....! Please.

Last edited by Knock Knock; December 13th, 2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old December 19th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1

Hi,

I read your post and I see your concerns. I am a second year student doing a foundation degree in IT with the Open University and my main focus area is Visual Basic. Firstly you must realize that you will be a developer and what you do with the language will make the major difference. Its not the code but the programmer. If you can do something in VB which is good but someone else does something better to meet a business requirement in flash then that developer will have a better business case. Either way, if you think logically, Microsoft is investing money developing Visual Studio and expanding the Visual Basic language. Changes to syntax such as Label.Text in VB2010 and Label.Content in VB2012 should make you think about how things are improving for Visual Basic :). Don't be disheartened by whispers, just keep working hard. Still if you are unsatisfied why don't you look at major companies in the world that use VB? Cadbury's now called Mondelez International and many other companies use Visual Basic. Just keep studying and digging deeper into the language. All will be well.
The Following User Says Thank You to danishjafri For This Useful Post:
Knock Knock (December 21st, 2013)
Old December 21st, 2013, 09:29 AM

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishjafri View Post
Hi,

I read your post and I see your concerns. I am a second year student doing a foundation degree in IT with the Open University and my main focus area is Visual Basic. Firstly you must realize that you will be a developer and what you do with the language will make the major difference. Its not the code but the programmer. If you can do something in VB which is good but someone else does something better to meet a business requirement in flash then that developer will have a better business case. Either way, if you think logically, Microsoft is investing money developing Visual Studio and expanding the Visual Basic language. Changes to syntax such as Label.Text in VB2010 and Label.Content in VB2012 should make you think about how things are improving for Visual Basic :). Don't be disheartened by whispers, just keep working hard. Still if you are unsatisfied why don't you look at major companies in the world that use VB? Cadbury's now called Mondelez International and many other companies use Visual Basic. Just keep studying and digging deeper into the language. All will be well.
Really thanks for the information as well as for the encouragement and advice..!
And can't we get linked in the email or whatever? 'cause i need someone to give advice and help me with learning.
Thanks.
Old December 21st, 2013, 05:08 PM

Thumbs up

Hi,

Feel free to PM me, I have a small group on Skype from the OU module as well. I tend to create work groups because friendly competition can keep things interesting and increase productivity. Also during your studies be aware of events. I try to attend SQL user group as much as I can and they are run internationally. Many jobs I find look for a combination of SQL with VB.NET or HTML, CSS and JavaScript with VB.NET. Always keep a lookout on job sites so your skills are up to date and never be afraid to approach individuals to ask questions.
Old December 24th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1

Hii,i am also a MCA student and desktop application developer...vb.net is a good language for desktop application as well as web application..and you heard right because now a days there is one langauge that majorly used for desktop & web also is C#...so i advice you that first learn VB Properly and then you can try C#..because future of C# is good as comapre to VB..
Thank you
Old December 26th, 2013, 10:28 AM

Smile Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikhilKumar Bhatt View Post
Hii,i am also a MCA student and desktop application developer...vb.net is a good language for desktop application as well as web application..and you heard right because now a days there is one langauge that majorly used for desktop & web also is C#...so i advice you that first learn VB Properly and then you can try C#..because future of C# is good as comapre to VB..
Thank you
Yep friend, everybody is saying like that and through internet search, i've also found that future of C# is good, but i have also discovered that VB is also good as well.., and also for a new learner it is best to start with a VB as you mentioned it.
Anyway thanks a lot for the info...!

Last edited by Knock Knock; December 26th, 2013 at 10:31 AM.
Old December 26th, 2013, 10:33 AM

Smile Thanks

Quote:
Hi,

Feel free to PM me, I have a small group on Skype from the OU module as well. I tend to create work groups because friendly competition can keep things interesting and increase productivity. Also during your studies be aware of events. I try to attend SQL user group as much as I can and they are run internationally. Many jobs I find look for a combination of SQL with VB.NET or HTML, CSS and JavaScript with VB.NET. Always keep a lookout on job sites so your skills are up to date and never be afraid to approach individuals to ask questions.
Thanks man for the info.!
Old December 26th, 2013, 11:13 AM

Hi,

No problems at all. Its always helpful to predict the future by looking at past trends. Though not always accurate, it is a reliable means. You'll find by looking into history of computing, a story of a PhD student who envisioned how computers in the future (present) will look. You will also find a world known director who made 2001: A Space Odyssey (movie) who sat with IT giants and Universities to come up with an idea for the future computing. In the end it was the PhD student who was able to make a near correct prediction because they didn't realize that technology will get smaller and smarter (hence Hal had to be maintained from the inside). Additionally, if you research into JavaScript, there was a time people said the same stuff until a milestone was hit and JavaScript was brought back to life. A good developer meets the business case for the application. That is exactly what Steve Jobs did, he looked at what the customer wanted. Always keep in mind usability and accessibility and you will make some great applications no matter what language you are using. I started off using SENSE which is based on Scratch by the MIT and now I am learning Visual Basic 2010. Good luck for the future :)
Old December 30th, 2013, 10:49 AM

Smile

Quote:
Hi,

No problems at all. Its always helpful to predict the future by looking at past trends. Though not always accurate, it is a reliable means. You'll find by looking into history of computing, a story of a PhD student who envisioned how computers in the future (present) will look. You will also find a world known director who made 2001: A Space Odyssey (movie) who sat with IT giants and Universities to come up with an idea for the future computing. In the end it was the PhD student who was able to make a near correct prediction because they didn't realize that technology will get smaller and smarter (hence Hal had to be maintained from the inside). Additionally, if you research into JavaScript, there was a time people said the same stuff until a milestone was hit and JavaScript was brought back to life. A good developer meets the business case for the application. That is exactly what Steve Jobs did, he looked at what the customer wanted. Always keep in mind usability and accessibility and you will make some great applications no matter what language you are using. I started off using SENSE which is based on Scratch by the MIT and now I am learning Visual Basic 2010. Good luck for the future :)
Thanks for the informative response. And thanks for the motivation too.
Good luck for your future too, friend
Old June 7th, 2014, 05:40 AM
Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1 Points: 3, Level: 1

hi guys

thank god for the common sense here I to had heard the rumours on VB and was wondering if I was flogging a dead horse. Being an old guy I am learning for my own pleasure and natural curiosity of how things work, having looked at C# and thinking this is an alien language I thought lets look at VB and hey presto there are things here I actually understand and have been told by developers at work its best to start with VB and progress when you feel ready.
by the way good place to learn here I know I don't contribute yet but when I have actually learnt enough to help believe me I will.

regards

les